Get from history causing SourceOffsite to crash

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cschmit

Get from history causing SourceOffsite to crash

Post by cschmit » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:42 pm

I'm attempting to get from a label, but in the middle of the get, the SourceOffsite client crashes. This occurs both on the 4.0 and 3.5.3 client.

The file is common.zip(not sure why that would make a difference), but it pulls the file down locally successfully, and then crashes. It has not yet marked the file as read-only. All other files have been properly marked as read-only.

The exception is a 0xc0000005 at address 0x00459ca6. This does not occur when using SourceSafe directly, nor do other users appear to be having this problem(figures).

We are using a new SourceOffsite server, do to problems with the previously one(it became horribly slow). It is a 4.0 server on Win2K3.

I turned off the 'read-only' option under files and the problem continued to occur. Then suddenly something else changed, and I noticed that it now asks me if I want to overwrite the file common.zip when it checks it out(even on an empty working directory). Looking through the history, I've noticed it is checking common.zip out _twice_. The first time is where common.zip would fit in like it is a project(directory). The second time is at the end of processing the sub-projects(directories). It does this with both zip files that are in this project. I added an additional file(test.h) to this project and it was not pulled down twice. Only the zip files.

Other possibly helpful info... This is a shared project. I only added the test.h file to the shared project, not the root.

Anyways, does anyone know why it is crashing on me? And why would it check out these zip files twice? And are these two different things part of the same problem? Thanks for the help.

Casey

corey

Post by corey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:47 am

I'll admit that all sounds a bit confusing. :)

If its not happening to any other users, then it shouldn't be something related to the VSS database or SOS Server.

What happens if you set a new working directory and then perform a Get Latest Version on the ZIP file? Does that work? Does the problem only occur when you do a get through history?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

cschmit

Post by cschmit » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Yeah.. A bit confusing. :)

It does indeed work fine if I do a Get Latest. This problem only occurs when attempting to do a get through history.

When I said other users, it was actually just one(my boss). I just managed to get another developer to reproduce it. Crashes at the same spot. So that's two of us. (I'm XP, he is Win2k)

I'm attempting to rollback from the 4.0 server to the 3.5.3 server and see if the problem still occurs. I'll post an update with that info.

corey

Post by corey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:51 pm

Okay, if possible, you could also archive off just that node of your database and send it to me so I can see if I can reproduce it here.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

cschmit

Post by cschmit » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:16 pm

So attempting to go back to the 3.5.3 server is causing me issues, so that may take me a bit more time. (All I'm getting back when trying to do get through history is a bunch of lines that start with "Receiving File" and end with ~sak*.tmp, where * is some random set of hex characters.

I'm not sure if dumping the node will be acceptable. I'll see if I can't reproduce a specific test case.

randolphb1

SOS crashes when performing GET in History Window

Post by randolphb1 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:19 am

I am experiencing the same problem as 'cschmit' described except I don't have the *.zip file.
My project tree probably the largest in our database. When I try to get a labeled version from the top of the project tree SOS client crashes after pulling down 3 sub-projects. After the crash I re-boot and then restart SOS to look at the file statuses. Most of the files up to the crash point exist on local drive and are reported as 'Renegade'.
I have also tried to get the labeled version only from the sub-project where SOS crashed and it failed again.
I have seen this on both 3.5 and 4.0 versions. I have seen this failure on both Win2Kpro and WinXPpro.

maya

same issue here

Post by maya » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:11 pm

I have same issue with SOS4.0.1 client crash when using get by label from history.
The issue seems to be related to deleted and readded files. This issue was supposed to be fixed in SOS4.0 - but apparently its not

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:40 am

Could you give us more details about the files being deleted and then readded?

Are they added to the same project where they were originally deleted?

Any steps to reproduce or more info would be appreciated.

Or, as Corey mentioned above, for any of you who are experiencing these CLC crashes, an archive of your database or even a node where we can reproduce this would be helpful.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lvonsch

was this issue resolved?

Post by lvonsch » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:58 pm

I'm experiencing a similar problem:

SOS.exe crash on an attempted get from label
Crash always occurs at the same point.
May be related to a deleted then re-added file
subsequently SOS server hangs on attemped login and must be restarted.

Was a resolution ever found for this issue?

lvonsch

RE: was this issue resolved?

Post by lvonsch » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm using SourceOffsite Classic 3.5.3

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Was a resolution ever found for this issue?
No, we never got steps to reproduce or an archive of the database node.

If you'd like us to troubleshoot your particular issue, then these would be helpful.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager