Any way to hide folders that users do not have access to?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sitary

Any way to hide folders that users do not have access to?

Post by sitary » Tue May 17, 2005 8:49 pm

We need to share a sub-folder or project with one of our clients. VSS always shows the folders as does SOS 3.5. However version 4.1 of SOS is even more carefree about permissions and shows the files too.

Is there a way to hide the folders and files that the client does not have access to?

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Ferguson

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 19, 2005 8:47 pm

SOS should honor project rights as set in VSS.

We've found this works better if you use VSS 6.0d on the SOS Server machine. What version do you have on the SOS Server machine?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sitary

Post by sitary » Tue May 24, 2005 1:36 pm

We're running VSS 6.0c on the server. I tried installing 6.0d but I keep getting a message that the setup failed. The suggested solution from Microsoft is to uninstall SourceSafe and reinstall. Since this is a production server I am reluctant to go that route unless it is a last resort.

The ability of VSS and in turn SOS to display the folders to which users do not have read level access permission is a bug. To me the issue seems to be that SOS fidelity to the VSS model is too good; I can't think of a good reason that SOS should emulate this "feature".
Simon Ferguson

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 25, 2005 8:03 am

Did you try stopping the SOS Server while you updatedSourceSafe? It could be the SOS Server has some of the VSS files in use and that could be the cause of the failure.

SOS provides remote access to VSS. Since we access the VSS database through the SourceSafe API, we're limited in what we can do.

If you're interested in excellent project security, you might try Vault, SourceGear's replacement for SourceSafe.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sitary

Post by sitary » Wed May 25, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks for the tip about stopping the SOS Server. I will have to try that.

> SOS provides remote access to VSS. Since we access the VSS database through the SourceSafe API, we're limited in what we can do.

But you should not let VSS's bugs mar the superior features of SOS. <s> The SCCAPI can also return the rights of the user in regards to the specified project. I think this would be a great enhancement to SOS.

Re Vault, we're not ready to abandon SourceSafe just yet.
Simon Ferguson