Memory read error in Visual Basic

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dean@printstream.com

Memory read error in Visual Basic

Post by dean@printstream.com » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:49 am

From a new, empty VB project, I'm trying to Create a Project from SourceOffSite. I can attach to my SourceOffSite database, but once I accept the VBP I'm trying to locally create, I get the error:

The instruction at "0x023548c9" referenced memory at "0x6f50657a". The memory could not be "read".

In Event Viewer, the Application error is:

Faulting application vb6.exe, version 6.0.81.76, faulting module sosscc.dll, version 4.0.2.171, fault address 0x000448c9.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest client (4.1), as well as deleted the sos cache file, but nothing helps.

Any ideas?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:04 am

What kind of project is this?

Is the empty project already under source control and in the database?

Is there a project in the database that you want to add to the empty project through the Create from Source Control command?

I'd like to try to reproduce this. Can you provide the specific steps?

Also -- what version of the SOS Server do you have?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dean@printstream.com

Post by dean@printstream.com » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:30 am

It's a Visual Basic 6.0 project.

Yes, the VB project is in the source control database.

MY SOS Server version is 4.1 (with cryptography).

My VSS version is 6.0d build 9848.

The steps are:

1. Open a new VB Project.
2. Remove the form.
3. Remove the project (not saving it).
4. Click on Tools > SourceOffSite > Create Project from SOS.
5. Connect to the correct database.
6. Find the VB project and click OK.

In the status window, I can see the message "Retrieving Project...". The path is correct. During this process, I get the Memory Read error.

We will be running the Analyze and Fix utility on our VSS database, to see if this helps.

Thanks.

dean@printstream.com

Post by dean@printstream.com » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Here is the application error from the event log:

Faulting application vb6.exe, version 6.0.81.76, faulting module SosScc.dll, version 4.0.2.171, fault address 0x000448c9.

I've uninstalled and re-installed SourceOffSite and Visual Basic, with no change.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 am

I followed your steps and got a similar error. It's hard to say whether this is a bug or a configuration or database issue. We'll try to reproduce this with a different machine and database.

Can you "create a project from SourceOffSite" without first creating a project and removing it? This assumes someone has added the project to source control; you don't have it on your machine, and are opening it (creating) for the first time on your machine.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dean@printstream.com

Post by dean@printstream.com » Wed May 04, 2005 12:35 pm

No, I get the error every time. Whether the project exists on my machine, or I remove all local code and start fresh, this error occurs. However, it only occurs on the projects I work with. When I try to create a project from sourcesafe using a project that I've never worked with, I don't get a memory error. Obviously, this is a clue, but I have no idea what it's pointing to.

One other observation. I've discovered the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file in each source code project folder. By editing this file, I am able to successfully open my project attached to SOS. I'm guessing Create a Project from SOS accomplishes the same thing, in other words, it creates a proper SCC file. Does this file get updated by SOS? Where does this originate? VSS? I was hoping that having a proper MSSCCPRJ.SCC file in the project folder, this would eliminate the Memory error, but it has no effect. The error still occurs.

Thanks.

gadzuk

Post by gadzuk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm getting the same or similar error when I use SOS integration from VB6. Works great with VB.Net, but not VB6.

The message I'm getting is:
The instruction at "0x608972be" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Very tough to reproduce, but causes VB6 to randomly crash every 10 minutes or so. I'll just be working in the editor, then suddenly crash.

I'm running SOS server 4.0 and SOS client 4.0. I just upgraded to SOS client 4.1 but no improvement. When I change the default SCC provider back to plain 'ol Microsoft SourceSafe, I can work for hours with no crash.

There are no entries in the application event log.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Thanks for the report. We'll see if we can reproduce it again here.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear