Very Slow for "get the latest version" after updat

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SquallWang

Very Slow for "get the latest version" after updat

Post by SquallWang » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Before we use SOS 3.5.3, for a project we need only about 12 minutes for gettting the latest version. But after we updated SOS to 4.1.0, we need about 30 mins. it is a little incredible. And if we use VSS directly to do the operation, we just need 2 mins. I looked up the the related topic, you said there are 2 reasons. One is that real-time anti-virus protection and the other one is the minor errors caused by VSS itselt. But after the update, we didn't change our environment. Why before the old version didn't have bad performance and but now we do? Can it to be caused by other reasons?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:10 am

Are you using both SOS 4.1 clients and server?

SOS 4.1 shouldn't be that much slower than SOS 3.5.x. Are any other operations slow? Did anything else change on your network or on the SOS Server machine? Did you update the version of VSS on the SOS Server machine?

Send me a copy of the SOS log.txt file from the SOS Server directory, and we'll see if anything else might be going on.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

SquallWang

Post by SquallWang » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:29 pm

After disabling the virus-scanner, the performance turned very good. For the Project named A, it just took 2 minutes to get the latest version rather than 30 minutes before. But another issue arose, when I try to use 2 users to get the latest verison of Project A from 2 work stations concurrestly, it will take more than 30 minutes to finish. Is this proper for performance for SOS 4.1.0?I think it is a little incredible. Looing forwand to your response.
Everything will be better:)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:24 am

The SOS Server communicates with the VSS database through the SourceSafe Automation Component (ssapi.dll). Some versions work better with SOS than others. What version are you using? See this KB article on how to tell:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

SquallWang

Post by SquallWang » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:20 pm

Its version is 6.0.93.50

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:06 pm

That's VSS 6.0c. Microsoft created a hotfix for that version so that it would work better with SOS. You might try it, it could help performance:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1348
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

SquallWang

Post by SquallWang » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm

I have copied the files in hotfix folder to my original vss folder, but it seems to have no apparent improvement. Are there other reasons which will cause the performance degradation when multiple users do some certain operation concurrently. In my case, the SOS server will not crash, but just has low speed when get the latest version for multiple users.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 am

There are a number of reasons SOS could be slow. See this KB article for tips on optimizing SOS performance:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2575

How many users do you have?

How many databases do you connect to with SOS?

Are project rights turned on in VSS?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

SquallWang

Post by SquallWang » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:35 am

Today, I did some tests.
I installed SOS server 4.1 on two servers to see the difference between them. Server (A) has 4 Xeon processors and 1.0GB ram. Server(B) has 2 Prntium 3 processors and 3.25GB ram.
I just use single user to do the following test.
All the tests is to get the latest version of a Project.
anti-virus service is on anti-virus service is off
server(A) 30 minutes 2 minutes

server(B) 8 minutes 6 minutes

For the 2 servers, all other configuration and services are almost same. Why did server(B) seem not to be affected much by the anti-virus service and server (A) have so much difference between the 2 situation.

Do you think the main influential facter is the number of processor and the type of processor?

I am a little crazy for the recent SOS tests:)Thanks for your kindness to answer my countless questions recently.