Server process could not be started because...

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

torial

Server process could not be started because...

Post by torial » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:03 pm

I am evaluating SOS and currently running into a problem with what appears to be a BizTalk error (e.g. it is the only reference I can find when I Google) -- but I am unsure how to resolve it.

3/7/2005 2:50:05 PM - Connection accepted from XXX.168.200.194:1316 on local address XXX.168.200.194:8080, session id is 22.
3/7/2005 2:50:08 PM - 22: Exception during Login: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.
3/7/2005 2:50:08 PM - 22: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.

What approaches are there for resolving this?
Thanks,
Sean

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:26 am

We've never seen this error before.

What version of SOS Client and Server are you using? What generated the error in the log -- were you trying to log in?

Are there any errors in the Event View relating to this?

What account is being used by the SOS Server service?

Does the account running the SOS Server service have at least read/write access to the machine/drive/directory where the VSS database resides?
This setting is in Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services->SourceOffSite 4->Properties->Logon. When the VSS database is on a different machine than the SOS Server, use a domain account for the Server service: domainname\username.
Any information about the SOS and VSS installation, your operating system, etc. would be helpful.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

torial

System Info

Post by torial » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:53 am

Here's the system info from the Server Manager:
SOS Version:4.1
SOS Edition: With Cryptography
SOS Server for: VSS 6.0

The client is also 4.1.

Yes, the failure occurred when attempting to login.

In the System Event viewer:
DCOM got error "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. " and was unable to logon SM-SEAN\VSSServer in order to run the server:
{3B3C9BC9-BE24-4359-AED7-D1995BFA7DCD}

I'm looking into the possibility that I have a corrupt VSS install, as I also get this DCOM error when I try to access the VSS DB programmatically. If I can verify that is is a corrupt VSS install, I'll try to post that.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:38 am

If you can't access the VSS database with a VSS client, then the SOS Server won't be able to, either.

Some of these errors don't sound like SOS errors. Also, SOS doesn't use DCOM.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Rich

Same error as above

Post by Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:43 am

We are experiencing exactly the same error as reported above.

Our server crashed over night and today we are unable to get access to the Source Safe data.

Here's what happens when running the client:

"Connectin to <IP>..."
"Server sending 128 bit challenge."
"Using 128 bit encryption to communicate with server."
"Logging in..."

then the error pops up:

The server was unable to connect to the SourceSafe database.
Check your server's log file for additional information.

So, the server log file says:

15/04/2005 11:43:19 - Connection accepted from *** on local address ***, session id is 5.
15/04/2005 11:43:19 - 5: Exception during Login: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.
15/04/2005 11:43:19 - 5: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.

As I say - this was working fine yesterday. But the server did crash. Please help.

Warren

Same error more info

Post by Warren » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:11 am

We've since learned a bit more about this problem.
Turned out our server hadn't crashed, it had autoinstalled a set of Windows security fixes at 3am this morning ( we have a managed server with remote access only hence the confusion).

We can access the VSS database through the VSS client from the server machine so we know it's not a VSS server authentication problem.

After much investigation, the only thing that we can determine has changed is the application of these new Microsoft security hotfixes.
Do you guys know if there are any known compatibility problems with recent Microsoft security updates.

We are running SOS v 4.1 on Windows Server 2003

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:15 am

If security patches have been applied, then you may need recheck the account used by the SOS Server service and verify that it still has proper access to the VSS database machine/drive/directory.

The account running the SOS Server service needs at least read/write access to the machine/drive/directory where the VSS database resides. This setting is in Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services->SourceOffSite 4->Properties->Logon. When the VSS database is on a different machine than the SOS Server, use a domain account for the Server service: domainname\username.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Warren

Problem solved

Post by Warren » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks for the response Linda.
We've found the problem and you'll be pleased to know that it's not SOS!
However it does stop SOS working so I'm going to post up the solution in case anyone else encounters this problem.

When looking at offsite SS solutions, we tried a few before settling on SOS.
One we tried was called VSS.Net - it has the most complicated installation procedure know to man anyway one of it's torturous steps is that you have to create a COM+ component service using the SSAPI COM object to impersonate.
So what was happening was that as soon as SOS loaded SSAPI, it was trying to logon to COM+ as an impersonating user called VSSServer ( which VSS.NET needs).
Because we'd deleted that user, the log on was failing and so SOS was receiving an error and bailing out.

So for anyone else who has installed VSS.NET - do the following
1) Uninstall
2) Go to Admin->COmponent Services->COM+ Applications
3) Find the entry you added and DELETE do not disable as this does not work

That will fix your problem.

Sorry to take up your time :)

Warren

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:23 am

Thanks for the info. This would have been a tough one to figure out.

Forum members, note: VSS.NET is NOT Visual SourceSafe. It's a remote access tool for VSS, produced by another company.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear