two issues about multiple uesr access

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SquallWang

two issues about multiple uesr access

Post by SquallWang » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:32 pm

Here, I used 2 users: A and B to do the operation concurrently. I ran the SOS client with different user account at 2 different work stations concurrently: my laptop and another debug station.

Rename operation:

User / account / operation status / Comment

(1)A on debug station/ Check out 2 files / successful/ No comment

(2)B on my laptop / rename the folder which the 2 checked out files are in / successful / I don't know whether this is a bug for this software. This operation should be forbidden.

(3)A on debug station / check in the 2 files / fail / The report said that no such folder can be found.

Delete operation:

(1)A on debug station/ Check out 2 files / successful/ No comment

(2)B on my laptop / delete the folder which the 2 checked out files are in / successful / I don't know whether this is a bug for this software. This operation should be forbidden.

(3)A on debug station / check in the 2 files / fail / The report said that no such folder can be found.
Everything will be better:)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:37 am

In VSS, you can rename a folder even though it has files checked out. Since SOS emulates most of VSS behavior, the ability to rename a folder while files are checked out isn't really a bug, but perhaps SOS behavior can still be improved.

When the file is checked in, SOS can't find the parent folder, since it no longer exists under the old name. However, VSS is able to handle this better by associating the file path with the new folder name, even though the folder doesn't exist yet. (The folder is created the next time the file is checked out or fetched).

Thanks for the report. I'll log it to our bug tracking database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

SquallWang

Post by SquallWang » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:42 pm

Thanks for your explanation.
But you just cover the problem with rename operation, and what about the problem with deleting operation? Dose it have the same reason with rename operation?
Everything will be better:)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:37 am

VSS does allow you to delete a project with checked-out files, but if you delete the project with the VSS client you do get prompted first -- "Files are checked out, delete anyway?". Then the project and files disappear.

SOS does not tell you that there are files checked out in the directory to be deleted.

I'll add this info to the bug.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager