Creating new project in SoS using existing one

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Rossen Tzonev

Creating new project in SoS using existing one

Post by Rossen Tzonev » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:59 am

Hi,

Here is my case: I have project "A" which is consiste of many sub-projects. I want to create a separate copy of this project in SoS under the name "B" which will include the same sub-spojects Ax. What I do is to use "Move & Branch" in SoS.

And my problems start from here:
- opening project "B" result in some changes which are stored by SoS not in the location of "B" but for "A"
- working folders for "A" became the same as thus for "B"
- check-out files from "B" actually check-out files in "A"

So my question is: What are the steps to "share & branch" project with many sub-projects so that at the end both are separate and w/o any relations?

p.s. Is there a way to clear the project and file history? Because I have feeling that because of it, our project is loaded too slow in VC.NET

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:26 am

It's tricky to share projects in VS.NET. But it sounds like that's really not what you want to do. You want to create a new project B with the same files that are in Project A.

If you don't need file history for Project B, I'd suggest creating a new directory for your project and copying the latest version into the new directory, keeping the proper subdirectory structure. Remove any source control files (mssccprj.scc, etc) and any references to source control.

Then add this "new" project to source control, putting into a different location in the project tree.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:48 am

Well yes, the same project, with the same files and as my option to keep the files history or not.

My problem, is that "share & brach" the project within SoS and then "Open Solution from Source Control" works in a strange way. As I said check-out files from "B" check-out the coresponding file in "A". The same with adding files. Also all working directories for "A" are changed to the one I have set for "B".

The way I handle this situation with my project and SoS is tricky so I thought there is some easy way to do this. It appears there is not :(