SOS as Service (Error: Cannot start service from the ...)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

thoreon

SOS as Service (Error: Cannot start service from the ...)

Post by thoreon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:21 am

Hello...

I'm from Austria (primary language = German), so I would like to appologize for the mistakes in the following paragraph ;-)

I installed SourceOffSite 4.1 on Windows XP Home Edition System and it worked error-free.
Since I formated my PC and put Windows XP Professional Edition on it, I have problems with the server process (sosservice.exe)

I searched through your board and found solutions like
* turn logging off
* use another account (with admin privileges) to start the server
* reinstall the server

I tried all these suggestions several times but it didn't work. If I double-click the sosservice.exe I get the following error message:
"Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command.

(I also tried the Services in the Control Panel and the Command... doesn't work)

If I start the Server from Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services I get an error message like this (translated from German): "Service "SourceOffSite 4 Server" started on local computer and stopped afterwards. Some services are stopped automatically if they are idle"

Please give me some help...
Thanks in advance!

Thoreon
thoreon@gmx.net

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:42 am

It's possible that your new version of XP is SP2. See this KB article for a possible fix:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1987
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

thoreon

Post by thoreon » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:29 am

Thanks a lot Ms. Bauer!

My service works now without any error...

Thanks
Thoreon