Expanding Keywords in SOS 4.1?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Steven Carter

Expanding Keywords in SOS 4.1?

Post by Steven Carter » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:07 am

I am the administrator for approx. 50 VSS repositories. We use SOS 4.1 so that users in far reaches of our worldwide LAN can use these same repositories.

A developer said that Keyword Expansion was not working when he was using SOS, but it was working (but very, very slowly) with VSS.

Keyword Expansion works with SOS 4.1 doesn't it? Could you give me some quick things to check for to make sure Keyword Expansion is working like it should? Isn't all it's doing is entering in date, time, revision, etc where you tell it to?

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:21 am

Keyword expansion should work in SOS 4.1.

Some things to check:

Make sure Keyword expansion is enabled in the VSS Admin Tool under Tools->Options. You need to list the extensions for the types of files you want keyword expansion to work in, such as *txt.

Verify that the keyword is typed correctly, $DATE: $, Not $DATE:$, etc.

When you edit and checkin a file with VSS, does the keyword expand, but not for the same file edited in SOS?

What do you mean by keywords expanding slowly in VSS? If VSS is having a problem, then SOS would, too. There may be some minor database corruption that could be fixed by Analyze:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=50
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Steven Carter

Keyword Expansion works great...

Post by Steven Carter » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:43 pm

Keyword Expansion works great... it's just the users that have the problem.

Since I'm not a developer, only the admin for these repositories I had never had the need to use keyword expansion. I checked the SS.INI and did some testing on my own. $Date: $, $History: $, etc. worked the same in SOS 4.1 has it does in VSS.

Our developer who was so sure he was doing everything they way he always did... had a space after the first $.

Thanks for the help.