How to search by filename (w/o regard to checkedout status)?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

KevinC

How to search by filename (w/o regard to checkedout status)?

Post by KevinC » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:56 pm

Hi,
Is there any way to search for files in SOS that have not been checked out? I often have to find files that others have checked in, but I have no idea where they are. Are there any plans for this in the future (or in existing versions that are newer than mine)? I am on version 3.5.3 of SourceOffSite Classic.

Thanks,
Kevin :?:

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:58 am

There's no specific search for this in SOS -- nor in VSS, although you can do a wildcard search in VSS.

I can log a feature request for the ability to search for files with no checkouts. I'm not sure when or if we would be able to implement something like this, though.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:06 pm

I think that a filename search would be a great new feature.

Around here we use SOS for everything, but when the location of a specific file or project is not known looking manually through all projects is extremely tedious. I recently had to get the code for someone else's project and it turned out to be spread over dozens of projects out of hundreds of projects. Manually walking through each one and scanning for the files was time-consuming to say the least, so I would love to see this as a feature.

Thanks,
Kevin

SeanH

Wildcard search

Post by SeanH » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:02 pm

For what it's worth, I've been using SourceOffSite, and this (lack of a wildcard search) is the only major disappointment I have. I've found I still need to use SourceSafe (with it's impossibly slow response times over our WAN) for searching, which I have to do about twice a month.

jho

Wildcard search

Post by jho » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:39 am

Agreed Wildcard search would be awesome. We are using vault as the back end so no more VSS, so I can't even go back to using VSS to find something