SourceOffsite 4.1 with Visual Studio 2005

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Dave Hou

SourceOffsite 4.1 with Visual Studio 2005

Post by Dave Hou » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:13 pm

We are interested in your SourceOffsite product. And we have a few questions while we are evaluating it.

1. How well your current product SourceOffsite 4.1 is integrated with Visual Studio 2005? Any know critial issues?

2. We use Visual Studio 2005 to build C# solution and use SourceSafe as source control. If we use SourceOffsite to get a copy from the current Vss database, then we will get error message about error about missing binding information like the mssccprj.scc file when we open the solution with Visual Studio 2005. Do you have any idea about this?

3. Do we need to modify some existing files related to the source control, such as the current SLN file?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:34 pm

1. How well your current product SourceOffsite 4.1 is integrated with Visual Studio 2005? Any know critial issues?
We've done some work with SOS and VS.NET 2005, but haven't fully tested it.
2. We use Visual Studio 2005 to build C# solution and use SourceSafe as source control. If we use SourceOffsite to get a copy from the current Vss database, then we will get error message about error about missing binding information like the mssccprj.scc file when we open the solution with Visual Studio 2005. Do you have any idea about this?
If a solution exists in the VSS database and you want to retrieve with with SOS integrated with Visual Studio, you should first make SOS your default SCC provider in SOS GUI Client Tools->Options.

Then launch VS.NET and under File->Source Control, selected Open from Source Control and retrieve the solution into a fresh working directory. This should create the necessary source control files and bindings to SOS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:13 pm

I tried as what you have suggested and the problem still exists. I got an error about connection syntax. Please see attached screen shot.

When I use SourceSafe to get the files, it will generate the mssccprj.scc file, which I believe it contains the binding information. Should I check in the file for SourceOffsite to work correctly? Or do you have some other idea?
Attachments
ConnectionError.JPG
ConnectionError.JPG (13.26 KiB) Viewed 7750 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:45 am

This isn't a familiar error. It's not clear if there's a problem with VS.NET 2005 integration or some other configuration issue.

What version/build of VS.NET 2005 are you using? We can try to reproduce this here.
When I use SourceSafe to get the files, it will generate the mssccprj.scc file, which I believe it contains the binding information. Should I check in the file for SourceOffsite to work correctly? Or do you have some other idea?
If you have SOS as your default scc provider (set this in the SOS GUI Client under Tools->Options->General), then in VS.NET you do File->SourceControl->Open from Source Control, the proper bindings to SOS should be created in an mssccprj.scc file. An SOS user can't use the file created by SourceSafe, as it contains bindings to SourceSafe, not SOS. The mssccprj.scc file is not added to source control, but is kept in the local working directory for the project. When a solution or project is opened, VS.NET refers to the mssccprj.scc for the source control provider info.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:50 pm

We are using Visual Studio 2005 beta 1 version 8.0.40607.16. We have already set SOS as our default scc provider as you described and the problem still exists.

FYI. We give a try to get the source code from the SOS client directly with SOS as default scc provider. We can get all the source files but the mssccprj.scc file is NOT generated.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:58 pm

If you get the files directly from the SOS GUI Client, the mssccprj.scc file is not created.

The only time the mssccprj.scc is created is when you are in VS.NET and open the project/solution from Source Control.

Try these steps:

If the project is already in the working directory on the client machine, back it up to another directory or delete it from the local drive.

Then launch VS.NET. Select File->SourceControl->Open from Source Control. You will get a login to SOS and you will be able to select the project from the project tree.

The files should be retrieved to the working directory and the proper bindings to SOS should be created in an mssccprj.scc file.

The next time the user opens the project they can just open the project normally from VS.NET->Open project or by clicking on the project file.

Let me know the results.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:14 pm

We have done what you described. Now it's back to the issue "Souce Control Connection Syntax Error" we were having previously. Please investigate the error and let us know as soon as you have an answer for it. We do not think we can use the SOS unless this isuue is resolved.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:33 am

We followed the same steps I sent you, using Beta 2 build of Whidbey (Visual Studio 2005), and were not able to reproduce any error. It worked fine.

We suggest upgrading to the latest beta. There may have been some problems with earlier builds of VS 2005.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:52 am

lbauer wrote:We followed the same steps I sent you, using Beta 2 build of Whidbey (Visual Studio 2005), and were not able to reproduce any error. It worked fine.
Beta 2 isn't available yet (at least on MSDN). What version are you using?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:34 am

I checked again and actually we have a "refresh" version of Beta 1 -- it's version 8.0.41115.19.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear