SourceOffSite and VPN

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mavf22

SourceOffSite and VPN

Post by mavf22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:40 pm

We have a strange situation in our company. We have an employee who needs to use SourceOffSite from halfway accross the world. We gave the employee vpn access in order to connect to our servers and told him to use SourceOffSite in order to access SourceSafe easier. The employee was having problems connecting to SOS with the vpn tunnel up, however if the tunnel is not up SOS works fine. This doesn't make sense to me, because I don't understand how he is able to access our servers without a vpn connection. I was wondering if the fact that the server that has SOS on it also hosts our companies intranet had anything to do with the ability to connect without vpn access? Our intranet is accessible from outside our domain so I was thinking maybe that had something to do with his ability to access our server. Even though SOS works, I am curious to know why it works. Any ideas?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Usually, VPN access give users access to the network file systems. If you're using VSS over the Internet, you need this kind of access.

But the SOS Client communicates with the SOS Server via TCP/IP on port 8080 (or whatever port SOS is configured to use). That port may be open in your firewall, so you SOS user can connect that way.

We've had isolated reports of VPN software interfering somehow with SOS, but I don't have any specific recommendations. Just be sure that TCP/IP and a clear path to the SOS Server port is available through your VPN.

Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager