Status Search Hangs Server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kmenningen

Status Search Hangs Server

Post by kmenningen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:07 pm

A recursive status search for all files checked out to me (something I do religously) will hang the entire server quite often. After the first time this happened, I checked this site and Linda recommended that we re-register ssapi.dll following some specific instructions. We did that, and status search worked a couple times, but it hung again tonight.

I used to do status searches all the time in 3.5 with no problems. Since it is such an important feature, I'm hoping we can find the fix soon.

Best regards,

Kevin Menningen
Lead Software Engineer
Kevin Menningen
VIASYS Healthcare - Nicolet Biomedical

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:05 am

Does the SOS Server hang after a failed status search -- that is, do you have to restart the SOS Server for you or other users to be able to log in again?

Enable Verbose logging for the SOS Server:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Then try to reproduce the problem, and send me a copy of log.txt file in the SOS Server directory. Let me know what version of the ssapi.dll you have on the SOS Server machine. Email to linda at SourceGear.com

kmenningen

Post by kmenningen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 am

Yes, the SOS server hangs and we must restart the server to allow others to login.

However, we are still investigating the possibility of a setup issue with VSS 6.0d:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1866

The person in charge of the investigation is away on business travel at the moment, so we won't know the result for a few days.
Kevin Menningen

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:55 pm

Certain versions of the VSS automation component are prone to a concurrency crash. A status search starts another thread, so you could be getting concurrency crashes when when you do the search.

Then check the suggestions in the KB article to see if any of them fit your situation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kmenningen

Appears to Work but...

Post by kmenningen » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:25 am

The administrator followed the instructions to adjust for the concurrency issue (changed the threading model) and the status search appears to be working now.

However, SOS 4.1 seems to have gotten rid of the Ctrl+S shortcut key for Status Search, and does not appear to have been reassigned. While I can use Alt+T,S as a shortcut, Ctrl+S was a lot easier. Any way to get that feature back?

Thanks,

--Kevin
Kevin Menningen

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:42 am

That's strange. Ctrl-S was missing from SOS 4.0.2, but is working in SOS 4.1. Are you using a Windows client?

Does the Status search menu item show the Ctrl-S option? If so, does it just not work?

Verify that you do have an SOS 4.1 client and send me a screen shot of the Tools->Status Search menu item. Email Linda at Sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

kmenningen

Whoops. Wrong version.

Post by kmenningen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:06 am

It would be even stranger if it were true! However, I have version 4.1 at home and got confused about which version I was using at work. Sure enough, upgrading the 4.0.2 version at work restored Ctrl-S, and so far status searches have been working perfectly now that we have fixed the VSS 6.0d threading model issue.

Thanks and best regards,

--Kevin
Kevin Menningen

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:58 am

:)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear