VSS and SOS

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

myaspng

VSS and SOS

Post by myaspng » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:13 pm

I just installed SOS on the server and the client (both version 4.1). According to page 39 of the installation manual I should be able to run both VSS and SOS on the same client machine with option to switch b/w the two from the VS.Net 2003 IDE. But I am just not able to do so. When I open any of the projects which are bound to a VSS DB, I get prompted to change the bindings. On VS.Net I tried going to Tools --> Options --> Source Control -- >SCC provider and changing a few things but it didn't seem to help. What am I doing wrong?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:25 pm

You can use both VSS and SOS, but generally we mean using VSS for some projects and SOS for others. It's more complicated if you want to use both VSS and SOS for the same project on the same machine, because Visual Studio creates bindings to a specific source control system.

Here's a KB article about using both VSS and SOS with the same project:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

myaspng

VSS and SOS - follow up

Post by myaspng » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:05 am

Linda,
Thanks for your reply. But the solution is for a situation wherein two team members want to work on the same project (one using VSS and the other thru SOS). But my problem is somewhat different.
During the install I checked "Would you like SourceOffSite to be your default Source Code Control provider?" and as a result VS.Net works fine with SOS. But my older VS.Net projects (originally added thru VSS) now prompt me for the SOS DB which should not be the case.

So my question is how do I configure VS.Net appropriately so that both the projects bound through VSS and SOS work on a single machine?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

SG.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:39 pm

When you want to work with a project that's bound to VSS, open the SOS GUI Client. Under Tools->Options->General is a checkbox for "Make SOS my default scc provider." Uncheck that and VSS should now be your source control provider.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager