getting "access is denied" error

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

scott

getting "access is denied" error

Post by scott » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:34 am

Installed all the latest as a new install the other day. I was able to retrieve folders from sourcesafe, but not actual files.

Later, I lost the ability to login in to source safe from the sourceoffsite client. I see the following in the log:

1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: Reviewing the client's response...
1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: Process the client's non-crypto login request.
1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: User 'scottfm' requesting to login to database 'C:\Program Files\VSS\srcsafe.ini'
1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: Client is speaking protocol version 2.0

1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: Exception during Login: Access is denied.
1/28/2005 11:33:35 AM - 1: User scottfm disconnected.

Any ideas? I've tried logging directly into sourcesafe on the server using the scottfm id and it works fine.

I'm running the server on W2003 and the client on WinXp SP2. All firewalls have been turned off while I figure this out.

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:52 pm

This message indicates that SourceSafe thinks the account used by the SOS Server service doesn't have access to some part of the SourceSafe database. It could be one of the SourceSafe directories, such as data, users, etc.

Are you using the same domain account on this SOS Server machine that you used on the machine where SOS was able to connect to the database? If not, try that.

There may be a problem accessing one of the user .ini files in the users directory. If you create a new user, are you able to login from SOS as that person? (If all your SOS licenses are taken up, delete one of the users from the Users tab of the SOS Server Manager to temporarily free up a license.)

If you create a new database on the E drive, can SOS connect to it?

Some other things to try:

--Re-register the automation component on the SOS Server machine. See this KB article for details.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=255

--Try a different version of VSS. Here's a link to VSS 6.0c with the Microsoft Hotfix. It has proven to be the most stable version of VSS to use with SOS. Backup the contents win32 directory of the VSS client and replace them with the files from the zip archive. You may need to re-register the automation component after doing this.

http://download.sourcegear.com/files/vss_60c_hotfix.zip

Restart the SOS Server Service after any of these changes. You shouldn't have to reboot the machine.

-- Check the srcsafe.ini file (or send me a copy) in case there's something unusual in there that's causing the access problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager