4.0.2 Server does not start on WinXP Prof SP2

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jojoth

4.0.2 Server does not start on WinXP Prof SP2

Post by jojoth » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:30 am

I have installed the demo server on XP Prof SP2 and configured to use some VSS DBs over the LAN. The server service cannot be started: the error log says: System.ArgumentException: illegal character in the path.
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at ClassicService.Server.Startup(String[] args)
at ClassicService.ClassicService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

I changed the Dbs to local system, but no success. Unfortunately ther is no log.txt in the server folder, the option is checked.

I also tried to disable the SP2 WinXP firewall, no success.

Any ideas ?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am

If your database in not on the same machine as the SOS Server, you would need to use a domain account for the SOS Server service.

Also, verify that account has access to the SOS Server directory to write out the log file.

Did you use the SOS Server Manager to browse to the location of the srcsafe.ini file for the VSS database?

If you continue to experience difficulty, please email me your sossvr.prp file from the SOS Server directory. Linda@sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:11 pm

We were able to replicate this here after installing SOS Server on a new upgrade to XP SP 2. For some reason, the installation adds quotes to the path to SOSSvrSvs in the registry.

Open Regedit and find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SosSvrSvc.net

If there are quotes around

C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite Server4\SosService.exe,

delete them and the service should now start.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

restech

I seems to be a common problem

Post by restech » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:01 am

I had the same problem as described and the solution provided actually worked. I did lost a couple of hours trying to figure it out. This seems to be a very common problem. It will be nice if it was corrected for new releases. :wink:

XLuser

same problem

Post by XLuser » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:54 am

I got the same problem, even I removed the " (quotes) on the registry I got the following message on the event log:
Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Error starting the 'SOS 4' server. Please check the server log for more details.
at ClassicService.ClassicService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Please help. (The server is installed on Win XP SP2)

corey

Post by corey » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:49 pm

You may be having a different problem. Is the server creating a log file (called log.txt and located in the installation folder)? If so, send me the file and I can look to see what might be wrong.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC