Reorganizing development machines - want to keep Vault histo

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BBM

Reorganizing development machines - want to keep Vault histo

Post by BBM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi,

I need to standardize our development machines so that we don't have so many "broken" project/dll references when adding or changing a developer. I would also like to keep the current project histories that are in Vault.

I'm planning on doing the following...

1) Determine the new standard directory structure for the projects,
2) Buildi the new directory structure on each development machine, and move non-Vault items to their new locations (NUnit, etc.)
3) Log in from each development machine as the developer using the Vault Client.
4) Change the "working folder" for each Repository folder to the one that is used in the new directory structure (this will be done at the Solution folder level only - everything else stays consistent).
5) Start VS on each developers' computer and use "Open from Source Control" for each Solution that is needed.
6) Work through the references for all projects and update Vault with the changes when done. I'm think that I'll only need to do this once.
7) Trash the old VS project directories.

Questions:
1) Will this work? When complete, everybody's code should be in the same physical location on their machine so the references should be consistent from machine to machine.
2) Is there a better / easier way to do this? Specifically is there a way to set the working folders for all users at one time?
3) In another post, a SourceGear tech support person mentioned that if you're using VS you should set the "working folder" from VS. Is that correct, and if so how do you do it? I cannot find any property page or environment setting in VS that lets me do this.

Thanks for your help.

BBM

PS. The Vault Server is ver 3.5.0 on a Windows Server 2003 machine. All the developer machines are Windows XP Pro. We're using VS 2005, and MS SQL 2005.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 am

In another post, a SourceGear tech support person mentioned that if you're using VS you should set the "working folder" from VS. Is that correct, and if so how do you do it? I cannot find any property page or environment setting in VS that lets me do this.
The time to set the working folder in VS is when the user does an "open from source control." The dialogs provide places to set the working folder. If you set the working folders in the GUI Client and then try to open from source control, it may or may not match where Visual Studio thinks the files should go.

If the project structure is the way you want it in the repository, then users should do a fresh open from source control to retrieve the project to their local machines.[/quote]
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager