How to 'migrate' Needs Merge status to another machine

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

stevek2

How to 'migrate' Needs Merge status to another machine

Post by stevek2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 pm

I have performed a very large 'Merge Branches' operation using my development PC. I now have hundreds of files in the 'Needs Merge' state which need developer attention. Is there any way that I can migrate some of these files to another developer's machine, so we can both work on fixing all the merge conflicts? Otherwise I have to work on them all while he sits idle.

I assume that the status of the files is maintained in some sort of cache file on my PC -- would it be possible to copy these cache files over to another PC? Or is there some 'official' way of doing this?

Thanks!

stevek2

Post by stevek2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:00 pm

You're right...that's pretty messy.

Two further questions --

1. Are you sure I can't do this by manipulating the temp files in the %AppData% folder -- when I do "Show Merge", somehow Vault knows that the diff between my working copy and the repository copy is not correct and needs the merge status resolved.

2. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future? I guess I would need to partion the "Merge Branches" operation between developers and have each one merge only a portion of the source tree?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

The first thing you might want to try is having the other person perform a merge branches as well. If the changes aren't up in Vault already, it may allow him to go through the same actions, then each would perform the individual merges on half. When done, both of you will probably see some needs merged which can either just be resolved or perform a get latest to overwrite the files on your disk.

If that doesn't work, then each file would need a needs merge status created on the other user's machine. This involves a third person, and might cost more time than it's worth. There's no easy nor official way to delegate that to someone else. Really, this is most likely a messy bad idea.

But here's what you can try. Assuming the idle guy is person A, and then the third person you drag into this is person B. Basically you are going to create a situation where person A would come up with a needs merge status.

Person B checks out the files you specify. Then Person A checks out those same files. You give Person A the files you want merged in. Person A drops those files over top of the files in his working directory. Person B checks in. At that point, Person A can check in and he will get a Needs Merge status and have to go through a merge.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:07 pm

I think dividing up who does what part of the merge would be the best bet. I will check into other options, but I won't have those until tomorrow. I don't believe the cache files can be edited very effectively.