Too many VSS Versions...6.0d, 6.0c & 2005

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kjedrusiak

Too many VSS Versions...6.0d, 6.0c & 2005

Post by kjedrusiak » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Version 3.5.1 (4786) first time install.

The server and admin install worked fine on the server.

The admin and client install went fine on my work station. I didn't set Vault to be my default SC.

We have a major project in VSS 2005 in one vss database. (Using VS2005.)

We have several minor projects in VSS 6.0d in a different database. (Using VS2003 for these still.)

I removed VSS 6.0d and installed 6.0c w/patch as required.

I performed a test import on a copy of the VSS2005 DB which seemed to work.

However VSS 2005 stopped working.

So I re-installed VSS 2005.

Now the Vault Client doesn't work. I get...

The server connection class was not initialized. Call InitService before performing other network operations.

I went through the KB for the server side. That all works.

I even checked the server log file...it doens't show me as trying to connect. It does show the old connections (with timestamps) that did work earlier.

Can VSS2005 and Vault not co-exist (if Vault is not currently used within the VS2005 IDE)?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Vault and VSS 2005 can exist on the same machine. For tech support purposes, I have VSS 2005, VS 2005, Vault Client and Vault Server all on the same machine.

What kind of problem were you having with VSS 2005 when it didn't work?
Now the Vault Client doesn't work.
Are you referring to the Vault GUI Client or Vault within Visual Studio? At what point to you get the error message?

Reinstalling VSS may have changed something in the registry or with the .NET Framework that is affecting the Vault Client.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Vault Client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kjedrusiak

The Vault Client...

Post by kjedrusiak » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 am

I haven't tied it to VS as of yet.

When I start the Vault GUI Client I get a popup window with...

The server connection class was not initialized. Call InitService before performing other network operations.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the Vault Client.

As a side note, when starting Vault GUI Admin if you decide not to login and click cancel, it throws a very generic exception.

kjedrusiak

!!! Bizzare behavior !!!

Post by kjedrusiak » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:26 am

On the Vault GUI Client...

When you set the shortcut to run the program with the window maximized it doesn't bring up the "Connect to Server" dialog.

If you then select File, Connect to Server, you get the popup error window with "The server connection class was not initialized. Call InitService before performing other network operations."

If you leave the shortcut to run the program in with a Norman window, it works the way it's supposed to.

Could it be the "Connect to Server" dialog gets hidden by the main window when it bumps itself up to maximized????

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:02 pm

I looked at our bug database, and this is a known issue in Vault.

Vault doesn't properly support either the "minimize" or "maximize property from a shortcut. If you choose the maximize property, it hangs.
I'm not sure if or when we'll fix this, so we recommend using "normal" for the shortcut property.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager