Working Folder changes to use a tilde (~), confusing VB6

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bobogs

Working Folder changes to use a tilde (~), confusing VB6

Post by bobogs » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Client: 3.1.7.3719
Server: 3.1.7.3719

Sometimes when I try to Check Out a form in my VB6 project from within the VB6 IDE, the Vault status window shows the check out to be a success, but when I open the designer or code window, the window's titlebar shows "(Read Only)" and I can't make any changes. The little SCC box next to the item in the Project Explorer shows a red checkmark, indicating that the item is checked out. If I do an Undo Check Out (with Revert), the red checkmark changes to a red exclamation mark. If I then do another Check Out, the module is now editable.

I think this might be related to the Vault client IDE showing the working folder as "C:\_Proje~1\myproj" as opposed to what it was when I set up the project "C:\_Projects\myproj." When the tilde is present in the WF, I have many renegade files (which I have not touched), but simply changing the WF back to the "long filename" path resolves those renegades immediately.

Any suggestions on how to make the Working Folder keep the long filename path?

Thanks!
Gary

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:59 pm

It appears to me like it's not so much that the name is truncated that's causing the issue, but some confusion in the working folder and that resetting it might be temporarily straightening things out. Not sure yet.

When integrated with an IDE, it is preferred if one performs the needed actions from within the IDE. For me, when I save a project in VB6 to my hard drive, Vault automatically uses that same folder where VB6 put the files.

What you might want to do is come up with an exact error that is being generated. You can check the Vault Server Log, and/or enable and check IDE Logging, and/or enable Client Side Logging.

One other possibility I think would be to unbind the project and then do a fresh open from source control and just save the project in VB6 to a brand new folder.

bobogs

Post by bobogs » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:37 am

Thanks for the reply, Beth.

After further research, it seems that this "tilde change" is only happening when I open multiple VB6 projects using a VBG file. I noticed that the VBG listed the projects using relative paths, with the secondary projects relative to the Startup project's folder. I updated the VBG in a text editor to have relative paths for all the projects, but I also forced an extra jump back in the folder tree, as well as the long name for the folder that was being changed to a tilde name.

E.g.

VBGROUP 5.0
Project=..\Proj2\Proj2.vbp
Project=..\Proj3\Proj3.vbp
StartupProject=Proj1.vbp

Loading this VBG causes Vault to change the working folder "C:\_Projects\Proj1" to "C:\_Proje~1\Proj1."

VBGROUP 5.0
Project=..\..\_Projects\Proj2\Proj2.vbp
Project=..\..\_Projects\Proj3\Proj3.vbp
StartupProject=..\..\_Projects\Proj1\Proj1.vbp

Loading this VBG does not change the working folder(s) in Vault.

This seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks!
Gary