Some Users Show Everything Checked Out When They Don't

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

JDIMS

Some Users Show Everything Checked Out When They Don't

Post by JDIMS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:20 pm

System Configuration: Vault 3.1.8, Visual Studio 2003 (VB.NET), Windows Server 2003 (servers and workstations)

I got the task of asking about this - if it is a known problem. It didn't happen to me but I'm now our SourceGear/Vault troubleshooter (probably because I may be the only one who has experience with multiple competitors' products).

At least 2 developers have had files listed as checked out by them when they didn't do anything to check things out, whether through the VS IDE or via the Vault GUI tool.

I know that if one copies over files from a physical backup that the files show up in vault as checked out - but at this point (a week later or more) I'm not sure what the others did. I ran into the "copy = checked out" problem after a hard drive failure and system rebuild, where I needed some 3rd party vendor binaries not under source control - and accidently picked up a few nearby controled files (windows explorer) by mistake. That was easily fixed, and I knew what the cause was. I.e., because I knew when I had copied the errant files - right after opening from source control to get latest files based on a blank solution (ASP.NET).

So would my easily fixed mistake be the cause of what the others went through - or can it also happen from another cause?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Does the file appear checked out in the GUI Client or in Visual Studio?

This isn't a known issue. Vault itself doesn't automatically check files out, though Visual Studio might. Often when a file is checked out in Visual Studio, the solution and project files are checked out too, as are code-behind files, etc.

What kinds of files does this affect?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager