Deletion of files in a website project in VS2005

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bruceng

Deletion of files in a website project in VS2005

Post by bruceng » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi,

My team is working on website projects and we're encountering this problem:

Team member A deletes a file from the website project, & propogates the deletion to vault. Note that since it is a website project, VS2005 doesnt not have a proj file to track the files, so the deletion takes place without updating the sln or any proj file.

Team member B subsequently gets latest from the vault. Since the file has been deleted from the vault, Team member B sees the file with a "+" sign beside it, denoting that it is a newly added file. This happens since vault does not know that this file was previously deleted from vault by Team member A, & hence now thinks that Team member B is trying to add the file.

Is there a way for Team member B's get latest to automatically remove the file?

Thanks.
Rgds, Bruce

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:56 am

Are you using a version of Vault prior to 3.1.9? This was a known issue and was addressed in 3.1.9. Let us know if you still encounter problems with this.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6322
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bruceng

Post by bruceng » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:11 am

After checking out the post you recommended, I've upgraded to SGV 3.5.0

However, after setting the "Perform repository deletions locally" to "Remove Working Copy" in the SGV client, I still end up with the "+" sign in VS2005 after getting latest in VS2005. The file also still remains in the physical directory.
It is only when I get latest using SGV client, that the file gets deleted from the physical directory. But even after that, getting latest in VS2005 still does not get rid of the "+" sign. I had to either manually delete that file in VS2005, or restart VS2005.

FYI, In VS2005, I also noticed there's an option to set the "Perform repository deletions locally", but it is disabled, & set to "Do not remove working copy".

I'm not sure if this is a bug on SGV. If this has something to do with the settings on SGV or VS2005, please let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am

FYI, In VS2005, I also noticed there's an option to set the "Perform repository deletions locally", but it is disabled, & set to "Do not remove working copy".
I believe the option as set in the Vault GUI is honored.

Can you provide specific steps to reproduce this? Also, I'd like to know your settings in Visual Studio for each option under Tools->Options Source control. Screen shots would be helpful.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bruceng

Post by bruceng » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:41 pm

1) In the Vault Client GUI, I choose "Remove Working Copy" in the "Perform repository deletions locally" dropdown:

2) In the VS2005, the settings are as follows:

3) FYI, in VS2005, under Plug-in settings, Advanced, we can see the settings for Vault Client GUI, but the dropdown is disabled:

4) I added a test.txt in the root of a web project, added it in, & got a colleague to get latest.

5) He sees the test.txt appears after a get latest at solution level

6) I delete the test.txt on my machine, & when the prompt from source control appears to ask whether or not I want to delete the file from source control, I click on yes, & the file gets removed from my physical machine, from my VS2005, & also from the Vault.

7) My colleage gets a latest at solution level, & yet he still sees the "+" sign at test.txt

Footnote:
I also noticed that the vault's session timeout activates very quickly INTERMITTENTLY after I get latest, etc. It happens to 2 of colleague as well. The session timeout in the vault admin GUI is set to 4320 minutes (default):

Please let me know if there're some additional required or wrong settings that I've done.

Thanks & Rgds.
Attachments
VaultGUI.JPG
VaultGUI.JPG (52.09 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
VS2005.1.JPG
VS2005.1.JPG (50.85 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
VS2005.2.JPG
VS2005.2.JPG (34.46 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
VS2005.3.JPG
VS2005.3.JPG (47.48 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
VaultAdminGUI.JPG
VaultAdminGUI.JPG (62.72 KiB) Viewed 6794 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:15 am

We weren't able to reproduce this.
My colleage gets a latest at solution level, & yet he still sees the "+" sign at test.txt
In our test, after the file was deleted by UserA, UserB did see a + next to the deleted file in VS 2005, but the file was deleted from UserB's working directory and a refresh on the project in VS 2005 made the + file go away from the project view. Have you tried the refresh operation in VS 2005?
Footnote:
I also noticed that the vault's session timeout activates very quickly INTERMITTENTLY after I get latest, etc. It happens to 2 of colleague as well. The session timeout in the vault admin GUI is set to 4320 minutes (default):
Perhaps a network or Vault server error is preventing the operation from completing successfully. Put the Vault server log in debug mode (Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging.) Reproduce the issue and send me a copy of the sgvault.log file in %windir%\temp\sgvault.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bruceng

Post by bruceng » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:30 pm

lbauer wrote: In our test, after the file was deleted by UserA, UserB did see a + next to the deleted file in VS 2005, but the file was deleted from UserB's working directory and a refresh on the project in VS 2005 made the + file go away from the project view. Have you tried the refresh operation in VS 2005?
In my case, the file was not even physically deleted from UserB's working directory. Hence the refresh did nothing. Please advise.
lbauer wrote: Perhaps a network or Vault server error is preventing the operation from completing successfully. Put the Vault server log in debug mode (Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging.) Reproduce the issue and send me a copy of the sgvault.log file in %windir%\temp\sgvault.
I'll send you the log in an email. FYI, this issue did not happen even once before the upgrade.

bruceng

Post by bruceng » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:22 am

Not sure if it'll help, I've noticed that after the upgrade, the event application log has been consistently receiving a type of error. I've print screen the error. Hope it helps in the timeout issue.
Attachments
EventApplicationLog.JPG
EventApplicationLog.JPG (38.06 KiB) Viewed 6731 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 am

Your log shows a number of errors like this, followed by a Vault Server restart.
----8/11/2006 10:10:55 AM --()-- Error sending mail to xxxxxxxxx(edited) at SMTP server mail.xxxxx.com
----8/11/2006 10:10:55 AM --()-- System.Web.HttpException: The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x80040217. The server response was not available
---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040211): The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x80040217. The server response was not available
It's not clear whether the SMTP error is causing the restart, or if the restart is causing the SMTP error.

Try disabling email notifications and see if the event viewer errors go away. Also check the log again to see if Vault keeps restarting.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear