Problem viewing files from history in VS2005 IDE

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davidt

Problem viewing files from history in VS2005 IDE

Post by davidt » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:09 pm

Hello,

When I show history on a file from within VS2005, and then select to view a file, I'm prompted for the editor/viewer application. When I click OK, my editor tells me it can't find the file

C:\Documents

I think this means that Vault is copying that file version out to a temp folder, and invoking the editor on the file in the temp folder, but the command line doesn't have quotes around the file name. The editor is then breaking the command line at the spaces, and thinks there are four files to edit rather than one.

I don't observe this behavior in the Vault GUI client - the file comes up in the editor just fine.

Thanks in advance for checking into this!

Regards,
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 pm

Could it be your working folder is not set properly? The working folder can be set through the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio 2005.

From the Visual Studio Help files:
"Sometimes Solution Explorer indicates folder locations marked by wavy underlines. These entries represent invalid paths relative to your working folder. To correct invalid paths, you must change the working folder location.

- In Visual Studio, open Solution Explorer.
- Click an invalid path in the Enter Working Copy Location Here column.
- Click the ellipsis (…) button.
- Type a valid path, for example, http://<local host>/folder1, and click OK. If the folder does not exist, Visual Studio creates one."

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:34 pm

On second thought...

What editor is are you selecting for View? Where is your temp directory? (%temp%)

Does this happen for all files? Do all the files have spaces in the name?

davidt

Post by davidt » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:57 pm

My editor is Vim.

My temp folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\DavidT\Local Settings\Temp

There are several spaces right there.

One thing I've noticed is that the value of the %TEMP% environment variable uses short file names (on Windows XP, anyway). So the value of %TEMP% has no spaces in it.

Thanks!
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:55 am

Can you tell me what version of the editor you are using?? I'll try to reproduce it here.

Thanks

davidt

Post by davidt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:56 am

I'm using Vim 6.3.

Thanks!
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Well, I've tried it with Vim 6.3 and Vim 7.0. I am coming up with the same results. It appears to me to be a limitation of VS2005 or Vim.
Last edited by Beth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidt

Post by davidt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

How is VS involved when I click View on the context menu in Vault's History dialog?

Regards,
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:43 pm

When I show history on a file from within VS2005, and then select to view a file, I'm prompted for the editor/viewer application. When I click OK, my editor tells me it can't find the file
I don't observe this behavior in the Vault GUI client - the file comes up in the editor just fine.
I was under the impression that it worked fine for you when performing similar actions in just Vault, so I did not test that. Weren't you viewing history from within VS2005?? If not, then I'll try again with just Vault. VS does control certain aspects of what can be done with a file when integrated with source control.

davidt

Post by davidt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:48 pm

Yes, that is exactly the issue.

If I view the History dialog via the Vault GUI, right-click an entry, and select View, the file comes up in the external editor.

If I view the History dialog via VS, , right-click an entry, and select View, the external editor gets confused.

In both cases, since it's Vault's History dialog responding to the right-click, I would assume that it's Vault which is invoking the external editor - so why is the behavior different between the Vault GUI and VS?

Thanks!
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:39 pm

I took this issue to one of our developers. As it turns out, you were right on the first time. We will log a bug to be fixed in a future release. In the meantime, setting your temp folder to a path that has no spaces would be the work-around.

davidt

Post by davidt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Super, and thanks for your patience! My workaround will be to view from the Vault GUI :-)
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.