Just installed, cannot connect

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

CityOfOrlando

Just installed, cannot connect

Post by CityOfOrlando » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm

Just installed 3.5 without any errors. Opened SQL Server Management Studio and verified that a database was created, sgvault. When I installed, I wrote down the administrator password rather than relying on my memory.

Next, I installed the Admin tool on a workstation, and attempted to connect to the Vault database. When I do, I get the following error message:

Could not get public key from server

In an effort to troubleshoot, I opened up:

http://localhost/VaultService/serverInstall.html

from the server. The page states that I have successfully installed the Vault Server. I clicked on the link to view the web service details, and I see all the public methods as I would expect. I then ran the web client on the server and supply the appropriate credentials (Login admin, and the appropriate password). When I do, I receive an error "Login Failed".

Any thoughts on what to do next?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:06 pm

This error is caused when the ASP.Net process account that the Vault web service is running does not have the correct security rights on the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder. To correct this, go through the following steps:

1. Determine which account is being used by the Vault Service. The system started message in the Vault server log file will contain a line stating "Identity = USER", where user is ASPNET, SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE, or the user that is being impersonated. The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.

2. Make sure that the user specified above has read / write / modify permissions to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

3. If the problem persists after adding these permissions, stop IIS, and find a file that starts with "edb3...." in the directory mentioned earlier. Delete it, and then restart IIS. Then try to log into Vault.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

CityOfOrlando

Thanks, but I had already done that

Post by CityOfOrlando » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:51 am

I had already researched the problem on your site and done all of this. After changing permissions (first for the specified account, then for Everyone) and deleting the edbxxxxxxx file, I get a different error:

The Vault Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)

I cannot find the log file, where is it?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:42 pm

By default, the log file is in the %windir%\temp\sgvault directory on the Vault Server machine. It may be somewhere else if you configured a different path in the Vault Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

CityOfOrlando

Post by CityOfOrlando » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Found it, the identity is NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. Verified that that user has login priviledges and access to the sgvault database. Still getting the FilDBConn error. What next?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:41 pm

Could you email me a copy of your log file? Send it to linda at SourceGear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear