Large Initial Import Question

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bsihsv

Large Initial Import Question

Post by bsihsv » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:20 pm

I am new to Vault and I have a question about getting initial data into Vault. We have a large folder structure that we want to fully import into one of our repositories (~50GB). All the files are located locally on the same machine as the Vault and SQL servers. Is there a "quick import" into vault rather than using the client and having to [slowly] "upload" them to the Vault Service and get them into the repository?

Sorry if this has been answered before...I did a search and did not come up with any results resembling this problem.

Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:11 pm

If your source code is in a VSS database and you want to maintain history, you can use our VSS Import Tool. Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

If your code is on the local drive and not in a VSS database, then using a Vault GUI Client to "Add" the folders/files would be the proper procedure. This method would take a while if you have 50GB to upload, but a VSS import of a repository that size would take several days.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:44 am

Ok. Thanks. My data is just in a local Windows file structure on the same box as the Vault server, so it sounds like the best way to go is the GUI upload/add.

Thanks again and have a great day!