the SQL server log file (LDF) for Vault keeps getting huge

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

luther_miller

the SQL server log file (LDF) for Vault keeps getting huge

Post by luther_miller » Fri May 26, 2006 10:38 am

We do nightly backups of the vault database and transfer them to tape.
In any case, the LDF file - the log file for the sgvault database - keeps getting huge. I ran some scripts a few weeks ago that shrunk it back down to size but I was wondering if there is a way to automate this?

The only thing installed on this server is Windows 2003, SQL Server 2000, and Vault. We have never made any configuration changes to the SQL Server - just let vault do it what it wants.

Thanks
-Luther

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 26, 2006 2:57 pm

Are you doing the backups with the Admin Tool or through SQL Server backup? Vault needs only the Simple Recovery Model for the backup, as we don't use the logs for incremental backups, etc. If you're backing up directly with SQL Server make sure you're using this model.

There's nothing in Vault to manage the size of the log files. You could create an automated task that would run your SQL scripts periodically.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

luther_miller

I used the SQL server maintenance wizard...

Post by luther_miller » Fri May 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I don't see anything in the maintenance plan screens about the recovery model. Can you be more specific about the options that I should select?

Also, do you believe it is the making of nightly backups that is causing the log file growth?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 26, 2006 3:58 pm

What I was trying to say (sorry, it's Friday) is that the Vault database uses the Simple Recovery model, and doesn't need the transaction log to recover the database. And because of that, you can truncate the log file after a backup.

These KB articles might be helpful:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191164.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=873235
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager