SourceSafe Import Tool Hanging on Pre-Scan

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

charlesevans

SourceSafe Import Tool Hanging on Pre-Scan

Post by charlesevans » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 am

I am attempting to import our current SourceSafe DB into my newly installed Vault but am having problems with importing some projects. I have looked at other posts on this site regarding the hanging during pre-scan problem but nothing there seemed to help. I have run an analyse on the SourceSafe DB before attempting the import. There is plenty of memory available and the import process is only using about 50MB. The machine doing the import is running SourceSafe 2005.

One thing I thought it could be was that a user that had created files in the problematic project didn't exist in SourceSafe anymore. I added the user and tried again but no luck. It still just hangs.

I have managed to successfully import other sections from SourceSafe but am having difficulties with others.

Thanks in advance,
-c.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:27 am

We have not done any in-depth testing of the SourceSafe Import Tool with VSS 2005.

I was able to do a simple import using the VSS 2005 Client on the same machine as the SS Import Tool, but I had a database with a few files at version 1 -- not much of a test.

I was able to use a SourceSafe 6.0c client to perform transactions on a VSS 2005 database, and that seemed to work -- again, not extensive testing. So the VSS 6.0c automation component should work with a VSS 2005 database. The Import Tool uses the VSS automation component to communicate with the VSS database and fetch files for Vault.

What all that boils down to is -- if you are importing a VSS 2005 database, and are having problems, try it with a VSS 6.0c client on the SourceSafe Import Tool machine. We know the VSS 6.0c automation component functions properly during an import, and we can look at other factors that may be causing the import to fail.

Also, review the Tips for a Successful Import and verify you are following all the suggestions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager