_sgbak Folders after 2.0.6 to 3.1.8 Upgrade

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tom.Wells

_sgbak Folders after 2.0.6 to 3.1.8 Upgrade

Post by Tom.Wells » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:04 am

It appears that under 3.1.8 the _sgbak folder data is now kept in the cache area under Vault_1\Client. Is that right? For projects that were in their working folder before the upgrade can the _sgbak folder be deleted?

It also looks like there is a lot of history cache being kept from projects that I worked with a long time ago. My cache folder has thousands of files in it. Is there a way to clean this out?

Thanks

Tom

Tom.Wells

Post by Tom.Wells » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Nevermind on the first question. I didn't understand the purpose of the _sgbak folder. I read about it in this thread:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=562

I would like to know about the cache files. Once I'm done with a project I delete the project in the working folder. This still leaves the companion cache files. How is it intended that these get cleaned up? I see that moving them to the working folder gives them a little more visibility and seems like a solution.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Yes, moving them to the working folder is a better way to keep track of them, and also keeps the disk size near the working files.

To better understand the files in the cache, see here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:15 pm

The _sgbak folder location is configurable in the Vault GUI Client under Tools->Options->Local Files->Cache/Backup locations. It can be stored in the working folder or a location of your choice. It stores locally modified or "unknown" files that have been overwritten by a get, etc. It can be deleted if you don't need the backed up files.

The actual "cache" files are the files that maintain information about checkouts, tree structure, etc. The _sgvault folders contain baseline files that correspond to the files the client has retrieved. Baseline files are used to calculate "deltas" so that the entire file does not have to be sent to or received from the server, just the changes. The _sgvault folders can be stored with the "CacheMember" files in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client\{repository-guid}\{vaultuser}\
or in the working directory.

As Dan said, keeping the _sgvault folders in the working folder makes them easier to keep track of and delete when you no longer need them.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager