Conceptual problems with paths under different users

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Waylander1970

Conceptual problems with paths under different users

Post by Waylander1970 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:46 am

Hi,

I'm trying to get my head round many users checking out projects/solutions to different folders as their machines have different setups (for example, the path to Visual Studio Projects 2005 is different for each user).

Now I am trying to get the latest version of a solution that comprises a web project and three class projects for automated building. The problem I have is that I have a fixed folder I want to keep all my builds beneath but the projects expect to be in wwwroot and My Documents.

This occurs with other projects sharing those class libs as well, a different solution ties them together.

Am I missing something obvious or is the source always tied to a specific working folder? If I get the latest version to another folder, how do I tell the project to load the referenced class libs from another path?

Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:49 am

One place to start would be Eric Sink's source control How To, specifically the working folder chapter: http://software.ericsink.com/scm/scm_wo ... lders.html

I think the general answer to your question is that the structure of the project has to be the same on every machine, but where you place that structure can be different from machine to machine. Put another way, your VS solution/project expects your class libraries to be in a known location relative to the root of your project, but that root can be anywhere.

For example, if your project is like this:

c:\projects\MyProject
c:\projects\MyProject\ClassLib1
c:\projects\MyProject\ClassLib2

Another use could put it here:
c:\temp\MyProject
c:\temp\MyProject\ClassLib1
c:\temp\MyProject\ClassLib2

but could not do something like:
c:\temp\MyProject
c:\temp\MyProject\SomeOtherSubFolder\ClassLib1
c:\temp\MyProject\ClassLib2

This last one can't be done because the VS solution/project file expects ClassLib1 to be directly under MyProject.

Web Projects are a little different in that the solution or project expects them to be at a URL, like http://localhost/WebApp. By default, this corresponds to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApp, but you can configure IIS to put it anywhere you want, as long as the URL is the same. The Vault working folder needs to point to the actual location of the folder on disk.

Hope this helps.

Waylander1970

Post by Waylander1970 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:51 am

Thanks, that helps. I'll use more Sharing of projects too.

Ryan