Preserving history in VS2003 to VS2005 migration

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

gsmalter

Preserving history in VS2003 to VS2005 migration

Post by gsmalter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:03 am

I am migrating a solution that contains at least one web project and at least one non-web project from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2005. I'm wondering if it is possible to do the migration under source control while preserving history.

The reason I mention web projects specifically is because during migration, web projects are unbound from source control by Microsoft's ASP conversion tool.

Visual studio refuses to let me add the new web site to source control in the same location, and attempts to rebind to the old location result in "Invalid" references in the Change Source Control dialog.

Non-web projects remain bound to source control, but other issues still crop up with these projects such as not being able to write to the app.config file, so it's important that there is a documented procedure to migrate these types of projects as well.

Is there a step-by-step procedure to go from a Visual Studio 2003 solution (containing both web projects and non-web projects) under source control to a Visual Studio 2005 solution under control, in the same repository and local location, and with history preserved?

Thank you.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:03 pm

Is there a step-by-step procedure to go from a Visual Studio 2003 solution (containing both web projects and non-web projects) under source control to a Visual Studio 2005 solution under control, in the same repository and local location, and with history preserved?
I am currently working on this but I have to do some research before I can give you a definite answer. I will let you know what I find out shortly.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

gsmalter

Another wrench

Post by gsmalter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:26 pm

Thank you.

I just ran across an additional problem: It is impossible to change a migrated (or any existing) web site using IIS to one that uses the new ASP.NET Development Server.

The solution (as told to me by Microsoft) is to create a new web site that uses the ASP.NET Development Server and then copy all the files from the original web site over to it. This will make the solution even more difficult (or impossible).

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm

I have been researching into the issues of web projects being unbound from source code control when being converted from VS.Net 2003 to 2005. It does appear that VS unbinds the solution and will not allow you to rebind it back to the original location. In return, the history information for this solution is lost. I tested this same scenario using Microsoft's Visual SourceSafe and the same results appeared. This problem seems to be integrated within VS.Net 2005 so unfortunately, there's probably not a whole lot that we can do about it.
Non-web projects remain bound to source control, but other issues still crop up with these projects such as not being able to write to the app.config file, so it's important that there is a documented procedure to migrate these types of projects as well.
I have not had any problems converting non-web solutions from VS.Net 2003 to 2005. Could you elaborate more into the problems that you are experiencing?

Tonya

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:27 pm

The non-web project problems I had entailed the migration tool wanting to write to my app.config files, but they were read-only. It wasn't really a big issue.

As for the web projects, I agree with you. It's not a problem with the source control implementation.

We're just going to have to accept that moving to ASP.NET is less of an upgrade and more of a port to a totally different platform. This is made clear by the fact that the most obviously desirable and common path (upgrading a nontrivial solution in source control) is totally impossible.

Microsoft recently released a step-by-step guide on upgrading from ASP 1.1 to ASP 2.0 in Visual Studio, but it does not address any of the issues we've discussed here nor does it ever mention source control in the entire article.

In summary, I've resigned myself to losing the history even though it makes me sad about the current state of affairs. Thank you for trying to come up with a solution.

Greg