Shadow folder problem after upgrade

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dhammond

Shadow folder problem after upgrade

Post by dhammond » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:07 am

I recently upgraded form 2.0.6 to 3.1.2. When I try to add a shadow folder to a repository now, it seems to add a section to the shadow folder web.config called "WorkingFolderAssociations", instead of putting the new information in the <add key="shadowfolder_workingfolderassociations" section. This produces an error in the admin tool because it says "Unrecognized configuration section". I can successfully move the shadow info to the correct location in web.config and delete the WorkingFolderAssociations section. Could something in my configuration or some problem with my upgrade be causing this? We haven't noticed any other problems so far after the upgrade, and shadowing seems to be working fine otherwise.

Thanks!
- David

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:46 am

The way that shadow folder data is stored in web.config changed in 3.1 (or so) because the <add key="shadowfolder_workingfolderassociations"> was not a valid configuration in the appsettings section in web.config the 2.0 framework and so shadow folders didn't work with the 2.0 framework.

The working folder association section is supposed to be there and it should work fine unless something in the shadow folder web.config didn't get upgraded correctly during the upgrade process. The upgrade installer should take care of entering the new required configSettings information and moving the shadow assocations to the working folder association section, but maybe something went wrong during that process.

If you remove the working folder association section shadow folders won't work since this is how they are stored now.

Make sure that the following is at the top of your web.config file under the <configuration> section but before the <system.web> section. The following will register the workingfolderassociation section so you shouldn't get any "unrecognized configuration" errors.

So your the top of your shadow folder web.config should look like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="WorkingFolderAssociations" type="System.Configuration.IgnoreSectionHandler,System" />
  </configSections>
  <system.web>
You will also need to add back working folder associations part the after the app settings section:

Code: Select all

</appSettings>
  <WorkingFolderAssociations>
  </WorkingFolderAssociations>
</configuration>
Also make sure that all of the <add key="shadowfolder_workingfolderassociations"> parts are removed from appsettings (especially if you are using the 2.0 framework because that will cause unrecogized configuration errors).

Then re-configure your shadow folders.

Alternately you can re-install Vault (make sure to KEEP your database) which will install a new correct shadow folder web.config then re-configure your shadow folders.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

dhammond

Post by dhammond » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am

Thanks. Modifying web.config seemed to work.

Since web.config didn't seem to get upgraded properly, are there any other changes to that file that I should check? Are all the other keys like <add key="shadowfolder_login" still valid?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:27 am

The shadow folder working folder assocations location was the only thing that changed. All the other app settings should still be in web.config and should not cause any problems.

It wasn't the actual shadowfolder_workingfolderassociations key that caused the problem in the 2.0 framework, it was the sub items under that key (the actual shadow folder associations) that 2.0 framework didn't like.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear