Unable to connect - The underlying connection was closed

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kcreech

Unable to connect - The underlying connection was closed

Post by kcreech » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:42 pm

Yesterday, we started getting an error trying to connect to the vault server that reads:

Unable to connect to http://<<our server name>>/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.

Any user already connected is able to continue to work but any new connection attempt fails. We have been running on this server for over a year and the latest installation of Vault and Dragnet has been in place for several weeks. I tried everything in the troubleshooting posts but none work:

Tried just opening the web page directly - fails remotely and locally
Nothing is listed in the log
Tried resetting IIS
Looked in the server event log but there are no errors.

The only thing that works is to reboot the server. Connections can be established but that only lasts for several hours and then we have to reboot again

We are running version 3.1.1 on a Windows 2003 server.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:37 pm

We had a similar case with another user which turned out to be a network issue.

The first place we need to look is in the Vault server log file. The next time you lose connectivity, send me the log file and let me know what time in the log users could no longer connect. Email to linda at SourceGear.com.

Meanwhile, what may have changed with your network? Do you have a proxy between the clients and server? Was there a configuration change?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kcreech

Post by kcreech » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:49 am

Linda,

I am pretty sure it is not a network issue becaue we do not have connectiviey on the local host. We also looked at the iis log and there is activity from the client to the server. It seems as if we are connecting to ther server but the serivce is not found. When this first happened I thought maybe there was a problem with the ASP.NET registration so I tried reregistering it, but that did not help.

In answer to your questions, nothing has changed. In fact, we have lost connectively (local and remote) 4 times and I know there was no change between rebooting.

The Vault log is not not set for debug, I will turn that on and send you a copy when we cannot access the server again.