Integrate Vault with VC++ 6.0

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Zenda

Integrate Vault with VC++ 6.0

Post by Zenda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:59 pm

Could you please direct me the proper way to integrate Vault with VC++ 6.0?

We have multiple developers working on the same project but each of us have our own branch of the project. Recently I merged someone's branch into mine but when I tried to checkout files from VC++ IDE, it keeps trying to check them out from the other guy's branch. I tired to modify the dsp file directly to point to my branch but it is still not working.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:02 pm

This is a known problem in Visual Studio (branching still checks out files in the trunk). See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1917 for more details - it is the mssccprj.scc file you need to update, but the unbinding and rebinding also do the trick.

Zenda

Post by Zenda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks for the quick reply but are you sure the solution applies to VC++ 6.0 IDE too? For example, there is no "Change Source Control" feature. I know the IDE is old but I need to know if there is any solution for it.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Oh that's right - VC 6 doesn't have that command.

In that case, manually modifying the mssccprj.scc files is the way to go - make sure that each folder where there is one (which should be one per project in the solution) is updated to pull code from the trunk rather than the branch.

Zenda

Post by Zenda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:04 pm

I modified the project path in MSSCCPRJ.SCC file manually but the weird thing is after the project is open in VC++, the path in the file is changed back to the wrong branch by itself! And of course, the files are still checked out from the wrong path in VC++ IDE. :(

Why just opening the project would change the content in MSSCCPRI.SCC??

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:07 pm

VC likes to store SCC information in the <workspace>.opt file as well. I've found that I've had to shut down the IDE, delete the opt file, and then change the source control bindings. Be sure to check the .dsp and .dsw as well.

Zenda

Post by Zenda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:12 pm

That works perfectly! Many thanks for the tip!
:D