Migration Nightmare

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davecourt

Migration Nightmare

Post by davecourt » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:36 am

Hi

I am running out of ways to simply add some items from SourceSafe to Vault. We are changing the folder structure during the migration but seem to be totally incapable of getting it to work!

We have taken the files, added them manually into Vault and then want to create a solution file which encompasses two projects in different folders. Everytime I try to open from source control from Visual Studio it tells me I can't and if I try to open the source from file and then add to source control it never puts them in the location I want. Do you have any instructions on adding multiple projects into Vault for one solution?

I never have any problems if the project is new, only when something old is being added.

Thanks

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:24 pm

We have taken the files, added them manually into Vault and then want to create a solution file which encompasses two projects in different folders.
How are you attempting to add them manually? With the Vault Client? Have you tried adding them using Visual Studio?
Everytime I try to open from source control from Visual Studio it tells me I can't
What is the error message that you are receiving?
if I try to open the source from file and then add to source control it never puts them in the location I want.
Where are the files going?

Could you give me an example of how you would like one of your solutions configured? For example, you have one solution with two projects, where are you wanting the two projects to be located and where are they actually being placed?

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Just a couple pointers for you to get started right:

- Visual Studio can decide to put files anywhere it wants in the source control, including replicating the entire subdirectory structure several times. As you add projects and files to Vault, make sure that you also use the Vault client to make sure the files were saved on only one location.

- Visual Studio has severe problems understanding the concept when a solution file contains a project that is NOT in a directory at or below the solution file. This is the single biggest problem I run into when adding existing projects to source control from within VS.

- Visual Studio may change the working directory without telling you. This means that Visual studio will try to keep your physical file location the same, while storing the files under version control in a completely different directory structure. Usually this is due to the previous point.

If you pay attention to the three issues I show here, you will avoid something like 90% of the problems I have run into when adding projects to Vault from within VS, but your mileage may vary.
gabriel magana-gonzalez

davecourt

Post by davecourt » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:25 am

The folder structure we have is as follows:

Project Name
Trunk
Project Files

When we attempt to add the project files directly into the Trunk it always wants to add the folder name in too. Why can't I just say "put these files into this folder" instead of it trying to create additional directories etc.

The error we get when trying to Open from Source Control is "The project you are attempting to open is a source controlled FrontPage Web and cannot be opened directly from source control. Please use the Open Project From Web command instead".

Any further help would be great.

Thanks

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:25 am

When we attempt to add the project files directly into the Trunk it always wants to add the folder name in too. Why can't I just say "put these files into this folder" instead of it trying to create additional directories etc.
How are you attempting to add the project files? Are you using VS.Net or the Vault Client?

Regarding the error message that you are receiving when you attempt to open a project, have you been using FrontPage or FrontPage access with this project previously? Vault only supports file share access.

Here's additional info an the two types of access:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... method.asp

Try changing the access method and see if that works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... method.asp

If that doesn't help, your user may want to delete the project from Vault and re-add it with VS.NET, using File->SourceControl->Add Solution to Source Control. This should set the proper bindings.

See details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=776

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support