Shadow Folder problem

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

Shadow Folder problem

Post by mlippert » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Last week our shadow folders stopped working. I was out until today and when I ran the Admin tool and clicked on the "Configure Shadow Folders" button in the repository which had some shadow folders, I got the following error message:
The Shadow Folder Web Service could not be contacted. The operation has been cancelled.
Server was unable to process request. --> File or assembly name -m_9jxvj.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
I just rebooted the Vault/SQL server and this error message still comes up. I don't know of any changes to our Vault server machine since I installed the 3.07 upgrade on June 29th.

Any idea what could have happened and how to fix it? I'm planning to install the 3.1.1 upgrade later this week, perhaps Thursday night, but I'd like to get this fixed first.

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:56 am

What operating system is Vault installed on?

Are you using a custom account for the Shadow Folder service or the default?

Make sure the account used by the Shadow Folder service has the appropriate access:

FULL CONTROL - %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\Temporary ASP.NET Files
READ - .Net Framework hierarchy (%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>)
READ - %WINDIR%\assembly
FULL CONTROL - %APPDATA% for the .Net Domain Account ( C:\Documents and Settings\VaultShadowFolderAccount\Application Data)
FULL CONTROL - %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder
FULL CONTROL - [Shadow Folder]
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:42 am

The OS is Windows Server 2003.

The Shadow Folders have been working for over a month, they just stopped working last week.

I need to figure out again where to look to see what account the Shadow Folder service is using, which means I need to find the article in the forums which describes the steps to set up the shadow folders.

Howerver, I'm pretty sure it's a custom account, since the shadow folder is on another computer using a UNC path.

I guess that error message didn't mean anything specific to you, huh?

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:41 am

It's an error message we see when users can't connect to the Vault Server. In that case, the account used by the ASP.NET process needs those permissions. The ShadowFolder service needs the same access.

If you're using a custom account, that info would be in the VaultShadowFolder web.config file in the Identity Impersonate section.

Also, be sure that the account used for the ShadowFolder service has read/write access to the %windr%\temp directory to write the shadowfolder log file.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:37 pm

It is using a custom user, which is specified in the Identity tab of the VaultShadowFolderPool Application Pool and is not in the web.config.

Oddly enough the shadowfolder log file in %windir%\temp was last written to on the date I upgraded to 3.0.7 ie 6/29. However the shadow folders have been working until last Friday 8/12. The last entry in the log is:
6/29/2005 7:27:57 PM <generic>: [<No Name>:3828] SimpleLogger finalized
The shadow folder user is in the User group of the machine (it's a domain user), and that group has special permissions to the %windir%\temp directory which allow "Traverse Folder/Execute File", "Create Files, Write Data" and "Create Folders/Append Data".

I've verified the following:
FULL CONTROL - %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
READ - .Net Framework hierarchy (%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322)
FULL CONTROL - %APPDATA% for the .Net Domain Account ( C:\Documents and Settings\VaultShadowFolderAccount\Application Data)
FULL CONTROL - %IIS virtual vault service path%\VaultShadowFolder
FULL CONTROL - [Shadow Folder]

I can't seem to get to the security settings for %windir%\assembly

Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:54 pm

We made changes in later versions of Vault 3.0.x so that setting up Shadow Folders is less complex.

Although its possible to configure the VaultShadowFolder service by using the custom account for the App Pool identity, the preferred way is by specifying the custom account in the VaultShadowFolder web.config file.

We have a tool called the Identity Switcher that can be used to set the appropriate permissions for the custom account.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=10935

This KB article describes using the ID Switcher for the Vault Service custom account.

To use it for the ShadowFolder service, make sure to specify the location of the VaultShadowFolder web.config file in step 2 of the identity switcher (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder\web.config, by default).
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:54 pm

Well running the IdentitySwitcher seems to have fixed the problem. I'll post another message if I'm wrong about that.

I still have no idea what changed, but I guess as long as it's working now :?

Thanks,
Mike