Unable to check out a deployment and merge module project

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jconley

Unable to check out a deployment and merge module project

Post by jconley » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:25 pm

I'm currently unable to check out a couple of setup and merge module projects from the IDE in one of my Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 solutions. I get an error from Visual Studio stating: "Unexpected error encountered. . . "

Here's a screen shot.

Have you guys seen anything like this? What info do you need to help me figure it out? I'm running the latest Vault 3.1 release and VS 2005 Beta 2. The projects in question were bound to source control and some files were added to the projects that were outside of their binding root, which led to a message saying the files would not be bound to source control (which is exactly what I want as they're controlled in the other tree).

Any help would be appreciated...

JD Conley
www.coversant.net

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:57 pm

Just to verify: this happens after you do a checkout on some files in your project? If you exit and re-enter VS does it still happen?

The first place to start would be to turn on both IDE logging and Vault client logging and see whether it is dying in Vault code or not. See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2898 and http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534 for starters.

jconley

Post by jconley » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:50 pm

It's actually the deployment project files I'm trying to check out. Yes, it occurs after restarting the IDE. I haven't gone as far as to delete my tree and open the solution from source control.

In order to get the IDE client logging I had to modify my devenv.exe.config located in the Visual Studio directory, not the one in the Vault directory. Perhaps I just misread the article, but I thought it said to just modify the one in the Vault client directory.

Anyway, attached are the relevant log files for loading the solution, and then trying to check out both of the projects I am having trouble with. From my untrained eye, I don't really see anything useful. Hopefully you guys see something.

Thanks,

JD Conley
www.coversant.net
Attachments
vault.rar
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 768 times

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 pm

The log file doesn't indicate that Vault is in the middle of anything when this happens. In fact, there is no indication that Vault got called to checkout any files.

A few things to try:

1. Try unbinding then rebinding the solution - this will sometimes reset SCC enough to get it to work.

2. Try doing an Open From Source Control on another machine, and see whether that works. That would tell whether or not deleting files locally and doing an Open from there would even work.

3. If none of that helps, you could try to send us the solution so we could reproduce it here, or send a sample solution that exhibits the problem.

jconley

Post by jconley » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:05 pm

I figured as much. I wish VS's source control integration worked right (with any product). :) I'll let you know.

jconley

Post by jconley » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Well, as we all suspected, just opening the solution from source control fixed the issue. Thanks for listening. :)

Another interesting tidbit: I was able to check in the files from the VS IDE after checking them out from the Vault GUI Client, but could not check them out. Go figure...

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:56 pm

Sounds like something was hosed specific to checkout from within VS. Oh well - I'm glad you are up and running again...