Multiple <ActiveDirectoryDomain> nodes in vault.config

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tony

Multiple <ActiveDirectoryDomain> nodes in vault.config

Post by Tony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:30 pm

I have an environment where company employees have accounts in a parent domain and outside contractors (often off-shore) have accounts in a child domain. The child domain has a one-way trust with the parent domain (i.e. parent accounts can authenticate in the child domain, but child accounts can't "get to" the parent domain). My Vault application server (v3.0.6) and SQL server both exist in the child domain.

Up to now, all Vault users have been AD authenticated and members of the parent domain. I just added two new accounts within the child domain, and when I try to use those accounts to log into the Vault server with the Vault client, it can't authenticate them (even if I specify the username as either "child\account" or "account@child.parent.com").

I think the problem is that the vault.config specifies :
<ActiveDirectoryDomain>ParentDomainName</ActiveDirectoryDomain>

Is there a way to either specify multiple <ActiveDirectoryDomain> values or, perhaps, to force/allow the domain to be passed as part of the username?

Tony

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:24 pm

Tony,

There is no way to have multiple AD domains. If you have an account named PARENT\Tony, can it also authenticate as CHILD\Tony? If so, you could just have everyone authenticate against the child domain.

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do as a work-around.

Is there a standard way for me to submit this type of feature request for future consideration?

I would really like to see the <ActiveDirectoryDomain> node become a collection of nodes, where the server would try to authenticate you against each in the order provided, until it found one that succeeded (or failed).

Or, optionally, if you could set this node to an "empty" value, which would tell the service that the user name provided by the client should/would have a domain attached (either in the format of domain\account or account@domain.com).

A third option might be to allow the <ActiveDirectoryDomain> value to be set to a "default" domain value, but allow the client user to optionally provide the domain for their account (so in my situation, I could omit the domain during login and the server would default to "parent" but some users would put in an account name like child\user or user@child.parent.com).

Just some thoughts. Thanks again!

Tony

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'll log the feature request.

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:34 pm

FYI ...

In the interrum, the only reasonable solution for us was to create the AD accounts in the child domain (for security purposes) and then configure Vault *not* to use the AD for authenticating those particular accounts. We disabled the user's ability to change their AD password and made the Vault account information the same as the AD account information (since we only allow SSL access, the security risk is minimal).

I still think (strongly) that this is an area that could be enhanced in the product. Multi-domain networks are very common today and this was a surprising limitation.

Thanks again for your help. And don't get me wrong, I really like this product!

Tony