Best Practices for VSS conversion? RFE: Backup, Copy to Rep

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Justin Spindler

Best Practices for VSS conversion? RFE: Backup, Copy to Rep

Post by Justin Spindler » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:10 am

My company is just about to convert a VSS database containing roughly 20,000 files. The organization of this database is horrendous; almost all projects are off of the root directory. We were hoping that as a part of the migration that we would also work on reorganizing all of the projects into a more appropriate heirarchy. My plan was to import the entire VSS database into it's own repository of which our developers could make immediate use. Then we would copy the projects over into the main repository as time permitted.

However I am finding out now that Vault lacks any mechanism to transport projects between repositories. My question is, given our intentions, what is the better procedure to follow to carry this out? I've considered creating a folder at the root level called SourceSafe or similar and importing the database into that, and then reorganizing the projects throughout the project tree after the fact. Is this a good idea?

Also, I would like to put in my vote for two requests for enhancement:

1. Of course, the ability to copy projects between repositories. I understand this is on the list for the next major version of Vault, which I assume is 4.0. Any word on an ETA for this product?
2. A more advanced backup methodology which would allow you to select projects and how much history, if any, would be included. On the restore facility also have the ability to select a different project location for the projects. It might also be useful for Vault to understand the backup format of VSS so projects can be ported through this method. This feature would almost preclude the requirement of feature #1.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:43 am

Your assessment is correct, Vault doesn't have any way to move items between repositories. We do hope to get that feature in 4.0, but we don't have an ETA, because we're still in beta testing for 3.1.

Your idea for reorganizing after the import is exactly right.

I'll add your vote and suggestion to the feature request for archive/restore, but it's highly unlikely that we'll be able to restore directly from a VSS archive, becase, as far as I know, that is not an open file format.