Disable Repository Access by default

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Disable Repository Access by default

Post by Tri » Tue May 17, 2005 2:54 pm

When a new user is created, all repositories are accessible by default. Is there any way to do the opposite (no repository access, the admin has to enable access explicitly) ?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 17, 2005 3:16 pm

Not in Vault 3.x. We do have a feature request logged to allow the admin to manage this more easily or opt to disallow users access when creating a new repository.

I'll add your "vote."
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jkp*74

Post by jkp*74 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:21 pm

My situation is when a user create a new project folder within a repository, it is accessible by all users (Read, Check In/Out, Add/Remove checked). I have to uncheck this rights one by one for other users who do not own this project folder. I am managing 10 users right now. So far it is still ok. I could not imagine the amount of work required if the number of user begins to grow.
Joel
Micro Modular System
http://www.mmsis.com

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 am

One way to make this easier to manage is to set all users to have no rights by default (Edit the user in the admin tool and uncheck all default rights). Then you would only need to manually add the users who need rights to a new folder.

jkp*74

Post by jkp*74 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:30 pm

Every user can add new project folder in the repository and the frequency of them doing so could be quite high (the nature of our business). If the default rights are disabled for all user (at the $ level), then each time a user need to add new project folder, the admin would have to do that on his/her behalf and then assign the access rights to him/her. Each new project folder could contain a few more folders.
Right now, when a user is assigned the Add/Remove right, it automatically inherit the Read & Chk In/Out access rights.
What would be a nice feature is the full rights are only assigned to the creator of the new project folder. Other user will not be able to read the project folder unless they are explicit set to do so.
Joel
Micro Modular System
http://www.mmsis.com

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:15 am

You could give each dev his own folder under $, with the appropriate permissions. Then, each user can add projects to their own directory.

I'll log a feature request for creator-specific rights, but it's not likely to happen soon.