Server side "Find in files" search

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Server side "Find in files" search

Post by christian » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:09 am

Hi,

I'm assuming that to do a search to find repository files containing some particular text, I've got to do a Get to my local machine and then do a recursive text search using the tool of my choice against these files I've retrieved?

I think a better approach for most cases would be for the search to be performed on SQL Server (ie a server-side search). You could add another Get command available when browsing the version history of a folder that takes the search criteria and then gets only those files that match that criteria. This should speed things up considerably when you have a large repository. Plus it would reduce the number of steps / tools one would need to do common searches against files.

Is this something you can add to the todo list?

Thanks
Christian

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:17 am

Christian:

Unfortunately this is not as simple as asking SQL Server to create full text Index/Catalog on the database column. The files are compressed and also stored as deltas so multiple rows might be required to make any version of the file.

I'll add your name to the list of people making the request, as we've already recorded this as a feature request.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:36 am

Thanks Jeff

axinom

I need the search text in file feature.

Post by axinom » Thu May 19, 2005 5:59 am

Hi,

i'm missing the "SearchInFile" feature too :(

please add my name to the list of people who wants this feature.
... and please add it in the next vault version :wink:

Holger (Axinom)

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 19, 2005 7:22 am

Will do :)

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu May 19, 2005 7:29 am

Searching in just the latest version of the file would get you to the same level as VSS. I don't think most users would expect to be able to search through all past versions of all files.

Does Vault store the baseline version and forward deltas, or the latest version and reverse deltas? I think I read in one of Eric's blogs that it's the latter, so it shouldn't require assembling multiple rows to find something in the latest version in the repository.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu May 19, 2005 8:00 am

GregM wrote:Searching in just the latest version of the file would get you to the same level as VSS. I don't think most users would expect to be able to search through all past versions of all files.
We understand how helpful this feature would be, and have added everyone's remarks so it gets the correct priority.
GregM wrote:Does Vault store the baseline version and forward deltas, or the latest version and reverse deltas?
Vault stores the marked compressed, latest version of a file for fast retrieval when baseline is unknown, as well as forward deltas so a GET can easily bring someone's baseline up to the latest version.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear