Unable to check-in linked files

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

DetroitJ

Unable to check-in linked files

Post by DetroitJ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Our source tree has a "common" folder that contains dozens of code files that we use in numerous applications. Typically we use the "Link File" in Visual Studio to add files to our projects. We can check out and modify a file but we cannot check it back in from VS. We have to check the file in using the Fortress client. We are currently using Fortress 1.1.3.18336 (client & server). I hope someone might know how to make the check-in work for linked files.

ian_sg

Re: Unable to check-in linked files

Post by ian_sg » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 am

What do you see when you try to check in a linked file?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

DetroitJ

Post by DetroitJ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 pm

When I check out and edit a linked file, it appears in the solution explorer with a "check" next to it. The "Fortress Pending Changes" window does not show any pending changes. If I right click on the file in Solution Explorer, and choose Check In, I get a dialog stating "There are no items available for check-in". In the Fortress Windows client, I can check in the file just fine. I am available 8-5 Eastern Time tomorrow if a GoTo Meeting might be helpful in seeing the problem.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am

I'm unable to reproduce this behavior. Can I ask you to upgrade to the latest client (1.1.4)? This will work fine with your existing 1.1.x server. If the behavior persists, let us know.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

DetroitJ

Post by DetroitJ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:02 am

I just upgraded to the new 1.1.4 client and the problem still exists.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 am

Is the linked file beneath either a bound project or solution? If not, this is unfortunately a known issue.

(Bug 12318)
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

DetroitJ

Post by DetroitJ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:16 am

Here is our directory structure.

-ProductRoot
---bin
---common
---Sln1
---Sln2
-----Files
---Sln3
-----Files

I am working in Sln3 for example and I am linking in a file from our common folder. So, if I understand correctly, since the file I am linking to is physically outside any and all solutions, the VS client can't properly handle it. The entire ProductRoot folder is in our repository.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am

Your understanding is correct. There are a few scenarios where files outside the solution's structure can't be correctly handled correctly. The issue you're seeing with linked files is the result of a performance compromise. I still consider It a bug, but making it work and perform well is non-trivial, so I say with certainty it won't ship with a minor/maintenance release.

The enhanced client FAQ lists another problem you can have when you've got files in your solution that aren't beneath them on disk. I understand why people sometimes don't, but in general, having the entire solution under the solution file somewhere is a good idea.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 am

Just throwing out an idea to consider...

The way that we handle common files in a similar structure the one DetroitJ showed is to use the Share feature within Fortress and effectively put a copy of the common files under each solution that needs them. This way we can do a GLV on just one solution and get all the files that it needs to successfully build, yet still maintain a truly common set of files across multiple solutions.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks, that's a good suggestion.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear