Deploy feature

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dchaseri

Deploy feature

Post by dchaseri » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

I wanted to follow up on the question of whether the deploy feature will be added to Fortress. We would like to upgrade from SourceOffsite 4.2 but the lack of the built-in deployment functionality is a show-stopper for us.
I've tried out the Deploy Power Toy but it isn't going to work for us. We have a user group that works out of several locations (including some out of their homes) and not only do we not allow ftp access to our test environment but the change from a single-click deployment to a multi-step wizard would present a considerable loss of efficiency.
Are there any plans to add the deploy functionality to Fortress? Or do we need to plan on either sticking with SourceOffsite/finding another option?
Thanks for any feedback!

Beth

Re: Deploy feature

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 am

Here are some ideas for other ways to deploy.

1) Use sharing and pinning one side of the share and the pinned share will be shadowed to the web server. When items are unpinned, the web server gets updated. You can set shadow folders to update multiple locations at once if you have a fail-over web server or something of that nature.

2) Use only shadow folders on the web server and then all check-ins are immediately replicated to the web server automatically.

3) Using our command line client and ftp, write your own utility that users can only execute that will update the web server with what is in Fortress. You could also write your own utility using the Fortress API.

4) Install a client right onto the web server and an admin or authorized user can perform a Get with that client.

5) If a user can map a drive to where the files need to go, then they can temporarily set their working folder to the mapped drive and perform a Get. If the users don't want to reset their working folders, you could make a user that is only for deploy purposes, so your users would log in as the deploy account that points to the mapped drives and perform a Get.

If you need more details on any of these ideas, just let me know.

I do have a feature request for a web deploy that I can add your vote to if you don't like any of the other suggestions.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 am

At the moment, there are no plans to put a VSS-like deploy feature in the server. I'm sorry to disappoint you.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

dchaseri

Post by dchaseri » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks for the quick feedback! I hadn't thought of the idea of multiple shadow folders - we'll have to explore that.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 pm

If you have more questions on any of this, feel free to ask.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support