Login error when trying to log into the Web Admin Client

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

eoin

Login error when trying to log into the Web Admin Client

Post by eoin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

I am installing a trial version of Fortress to determine if we want to migrate to it from Vault.

I am doing all of my testing from 1 machine a Windows 2003 Server.

It installed fine- used Integrated Security for creating the database (on another server- MS SQL Server 2000)

When I try the web admin login I get the following:
Login Failed: The Fortress Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)

When I checked the log it says:
----8/29/2008 12:55:25 PM --()-- Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.
----8/29/2008 12:55:25 PM --()-- System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user '<DOMAIN>\<SERVERNAME>$'.

Why isn't it using the user account logged in to the server (mine which is a domain admin and has sa on the SQL box)? It must have used it to create the databases because they were created OK.
Where can I change this?
Owen Manske, Software Configuration Manager
P: (414) 431-8571 C: (414) 331-6848
E: owen.manske@passporthealth.com
Passport Health Communications www.passporthealth.com

Beth

Re: Login error when trying to log into the Web Admin Client

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 pm

When you connect to the SQL server, it uses what you specify only for the creation of the databases and for any administrative things it needs to do there. After that, it will use it's own user. If you logged in with SQL authentication, then it would create a user called sgvaultuser that is the db_owner. If it is using Domain\user, then it is using the user you specified under the Custom IIS process model. Since the error used <DOMAIN>\<SERVERNAME>$, I think you selected System for the IIS process model, which is only needed in certain cases. I would suggest using either the Machine IIS process model and then log in to the SQL server with 'sa' or use the Custom IIS process model and enter in a domain user and then you can connect to SQL with Windows or SQL.

used Integrated Security for creating the databaseCan you provide more detail on how you did that?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

eoin

Post by eoin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:05 am

Thanks Beth.

I used the Machine IIS Process model.

And by "used Integrated Security for creating the database" I mean that I used windows authentication for the current (logged in) user for setting up the sql

I just tried re-installing and picked the impersonation IIS process model and I am all set. Thanks for the tip!
Owen Manske, Software Configuration Manager
P: (414) 431-8571 C: (414) 331-6848
E: owen.manske@passporthealth.com
Passport Health Communications www.passporthealth.com

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support