w3wp.exe high cpu usage

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

emsCharts

Acknowledge Problem?

Post by emsCharts » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:43 pm

Is SourceGear acknowledging that this problem exists? We see it too
(CPU spike when checking in files) and are checking this forum and the site daily for an update.

Our current setup (shadow folders) is the best solution for us now and
we're not interested in a temporary fix involving moving sourcegear to
addl servers.

Please let us know that SourceGear has replicated or at least
acknowledges that this problem exists so we know you're working on it.

Thank you.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 pm

To avoid any confusion, I'll clarify my last post.

We are aware of a problem with Shadow Folders in certain types of repository configurations. We are actively working on this, but have yet to track down the cause of the CPU utilization problem. Once we know what the problem is there will be a fix in the next maintenance release.

If anyone would like to help out we're looking for volunteers to send us some debug logs from Shadow Folders.

To enable Shadow Folder debug logging you will need to
  • Alter web config in the Shadow Folder installation directory to use the following lines. Note, the configurations should already be present, it is just a matter of changing the values:

<add key="enableLogging" value="true" />
    <add key="classesToLog" value="shadowfolderdebug,refresh" />
  • Run a transaction which triggers Shadow Folders.
After you have the log (with the CPU utilization issue), send or post the log file for analysis.

After we have the log file, you can feel free to remove the Debug entries so the Shadow Folder log does not grow too big.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:16 pm

We haven't received logs from anyone yet. If you're having problems with high cpu usage when using Shadow Folders, please let us know. Enable Shadow Folder debug logging as described in the previous post and send your Shadow Folder log to support@sourcegear.com.

Thanks.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

emsCharts

Post by emsCharts » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 pm

We will supply logs on a slower development day next week.

emsCharts

Post by emsCharts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:16 am

First, my web.Config file in the VaultService\VaultShadowFolder directory DID NOT CONTAIN those entries you listed for debugging. We are currently running the newest version and in fact that is when the problems started.

We are sending the Debugging Logs soon, if you dont receive them within 1 hour please make a post here and I'll resend.

Thank you.

===========

UPDATE: I didn't send the file instead I sent an email asking for a confirmation of the location of the log files and the web.config files since I got very little debugging information when I followed the instructions above.

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 pm

We got both the sgvault.log file and the shadowfolder log file and are reviewing them.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:01 pm

We've identified issues negatively affecting Shadow Folder performance and will be fixing these in Vault 3.5.2. Details on this maintenance release here:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7198
Linda Bauer
SourceGear