How to connect a client from a different PC

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

emran834

How to connect a client from a different PC

Post by emran834 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:37 am

Hello,

I am using Fortress for myelse. Now, I want to establish a work group, but I am just new in LAN stuffs. Would you please let me know how I can connect a client software to the Fortress Server from a different PC ?

I got some questions !

1] Do I need to install the server on a machine where the OS is Windows Server ? or it does not matter !!

2] When the client software is installed on a PC, what server address it should use to connect ? Is it just the IP address of the server machine where the Fortress server is installed ? I tried connecting a client instance from my same pc with my IP address but it did not work. Then I used 127.0.0.1 then it worked. So I am not sure what I did wrong.

3] Can I restrict some individual client to a specific repository folder instead of allowing the client accessing all repository folder ??
So, would you please give me a short tutorial on this !!

(My intension is to connect 5 Client PC to the Fortress Server).

Beth

Re: How to connect a client from a different PC

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:13 pm

1] Do I need to install the server on a machine where the OS is Windows Server ? or it does not matter !!
The Fortress server does not have to be on a server. The system requires are posted here: System Requirements
2] When the client software is installed on a PC, what server address it should use to connect ? Is it just the IP address of the server machine where the Fortress server is installed ? I tried connecting a client instance from my same pc with my IP address but it did not work. Then I used 127.0.0.1 then it worked. So I am not sure what I did wrong.
You can use either an IP address, the server name or the FQDN. If you can't connect with anything but 127.0.01, the your network isn't getting traffic back to your machine. Is this a corporate network or a home network?
3] Can I restrict some individual client to a specific repository folder instead of allowing the client accessing all repository folder ??
Yes, by using folder security. Watch the demo video posted here: Vault Demo. There is an example of setting up folder security in that video.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support