The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the opera

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

emran834

The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the opera

Post by emran834 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 am

Hello,
I have just installed Fortress on my laptop. I installed Server and client successfully. I can easily connect to the server from my client GUI. I can aslo upload solution from Visual Studio 2008 to Vault Repository. I have also selected "Source Gear Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client" in the Source Control option in my Visual Studio 2008. So far everything works fine. But when I click the following menu item from my Visual Studio 2008,

View Menu -> Fortress -> Fortress Work Item Tracking,

I get following error.
====================

The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The request failed with the error message:
--
<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
<h2>Object moved to <a href="%2fVaultService%2fVaultWeb%2fLogin.aspx%3fReturnUrl%3d%252fvaultservice%252fDragnetWebService.asmx">here</a>.</h2>
</body></html>

=============================

After showing this error, I see a blank white window of Fortress.

Now, would you please help me to understand the problem and what is the possible fix !!
I am very novice in this software (just installed today) and I never used any other source control softwares so I am still learning about source control.

Regards,
Emran

lbauer

Re: The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the opera

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:53 am

From a web browser on your laptop (which is your server machine), can you connect to http://localhost/fortress/dragnetwebservice.asmx?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

emran834

Post by emran834 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Hello,
Yes, I can connect to the mentioned url.

Would you please help me to solve this problem as I am really interested to keep on using Fortress. I tried few other SCM softwares and I uninstalled all of them and I liked Fortress as a professional solution. The mentioned problem is the only problem I am facing now and every other features are working fine.

I got another issue.
When I check in a file from Visual Studio, I get the opportunity to place comment. Ok, in the Comment editor dialog, I see an option to browse for something in the Update Bug section. If I click that browse button, I get following error message:

The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The request failed with the error message:
----------------------------------------------
<h2>Object moved to <a href="%2fVaultService%2fVaultWeb%2fLogin.aspx%3fReturnUrl%3d%252fvaultservice%252fDragnetWebService.asmx">here</a>.</h2>
</body></html>
---------------------------------------------

Emran

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 am

You may be connecting to http://host/vaultservice (note the lower case). Please check your connection in the login dialog and in the profile, and remove any trailing /vaultservice endings you are putting on the hostname (or change them to VaultService).

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

emran834

Post by emran834 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Hello,
I used your suggested url as the server name but i got following error message:

Unable to connect to http://host/vaultservice. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The remote name could not be resolved: 'host'

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am

Sorry I wasn't more clear. You should substitute your vault server name for "host" in the URL. So it would be for instance: http://yourvaultsservername/vaultservice.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

emran834

Post by emran834 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Hello,
I tried and again got error message like this:

==============================================================
--
</body></html>

--.=============================================================

I am using Vista x64 with Visual Studio 2008. So, do you think I am missing some special configuration ?

emran834

Post by emran834 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello,
I after doing some trial and error, I found the host name problem and I got that problem fixed. Now, I can see the Item Tracking Window but all the time I see this window a blank white windo and no Project items are being shown. Can you help me to find out why is this happening ?!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Do you have Item tracking projects setup in the Admin Client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

emran834

Post by emran834 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:18 pm

I did not understand what you meant by "setup", but I have added some projects, with some milestones, some items under milestones etc... Is there any thing else I should do to see the items in the VS Client ?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Are you seeing a blank white window in the Web Client or in Visual Studio? I could use more information about what you're seeing -- could you post a screen shot?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

emran834

Post by emran834 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi,
I am getting the white window in Visual Studio Client.
Here is the screenshot,

Now, I am using the Classic Client, not the Enhanced Client for Visual Studio.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 am

Close the white window.

Then in Visual Studio, enable these views under the View Menu:

Fortress Work Item Tracking
Toolbars->Fortress Work Item Tracking

Is there a Fortress tool bar with Connect to Fortress /Disconnect/Reload Projects on it? If so, choose Connect to Fortress or Reload Projects

Do you see Fortress items?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear