Issues When Upgrading/Migrating

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

wooddreams2

Issues When Upgrading/Migrating

Post by wooddreams2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:42 am

I have been upgrading from Vault 3.1.6 to Fortress 1.1.4.
The upgrade was done on a different server than the original Vault location.
I moved the database and installed Fortress and it upgraded the database.
The Vault portion of the upgrade seems to be OK.

I ran into/am having the following issues:
  1. I found the documentation on the Fortess Item Tracking portion of the system to be lacking as I tried to setup the fields.
    I would have been a lot easier if there was something which would have given me some guidance on what fields are required to be setup on the Admin -> Item Track Fields interface.
    After trying to examine some of the database tables, I think I determined at all of them are required.
    I would also have liked a "white paper" on scenarios/best practices for using and setting up the item tracking system projects, etc.
  2. When I go to the Add Item screen, there is no visual indication of which fields are required and which are optional.
    I request that you add a visual indicator to the Add Item screen(s).
    Bold the field title or place a red asterisk after the label or something.
    The current screen is not very user-friendly.
  3. I am unable to create any Fortress Items.
    I am getting the following error
    Error: 547, The action can not be performed. Other items in the database depend on the value you are modifying
    with the following in the log file:
    Helpers::AddItem The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "fk_items_itemstatuses".
    The conflict occurred in database "sgdragnet", table "dbo.itemstatuses", column 'statusid'.
    The statement has been terminated.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    at MantisSQLService.MantisSQLService.AddItem(MantisSqlConn conn, Int32 nAuthUID, MantisItem& mItem, String strXmlKeywords, String strXmlTags, Int32 nAttDBBufSize)
    at MantisServiceAPI.MantisServiceAPI.AddItem(Int32 nAuthUID, String strUserLogin, MantisItem& mItem, Int32 nAttDBBufSize)
    at MantisServiceLib.Helpers.AddItem(HttpSessionState session, MantisItem& mItem)
  4. When using the FortessPlugIn for CruiseControl.NET finally got it working but in several attempts had to kill the build process after 3 hours
    (which normally takes about 20 minutes).
    Apparently the FortessPlugIn does not support a Timeout parameter.
    It really needs to in the same manner the standard Vault tasks in CC.NET do.
Please enter feature requests for items #1 and #2, let me know how to resolve item #3, and if there is a workaround for item #4.
Thank you.

Larry

wooddreams2

Re: Issues When Upgrading/Migrating

Post by wooddreams2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:10 am

Adding to my own post, I just noticed in the Help under Server Settings -> Item Tracking Fields that the help refers to a set of Default Values.
When I installed Fortress there were NO default values -- is this my problem to the issue #3?

Also potentially pointing to a failure to initialize the sgdragnet database is the following failure when I try External Add:
[SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.get_Int32() +80
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetInt32(Int32 i) +39
MantisSQLService.MantisSQLService.GetExternalUserID(MantisSqlConn conn) +132
MantisServiceAPI.MantisServiceAPI.GetExternalUserID() +49
MantisServiceLib.Helpers.GetExternalUserID() +5
MantisControlsLib.CategoriesListBox.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +61
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1436
Unchecking "Hide Inactive" on the Admin -> Users page, does not show an external user as was shown in another post here at one point.

Larry

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 am

Something definitely didn't go right if you received no default Values when you upgraded.

Do you still have a copy of your Vault 3.1.6 database? If so, would you be willing to try upgrading again? What I would like you to do this time is first, upgrade Vault to 3.1.9. Then uninstall Vault and install Fortress and see if that makes a difference for you. If it doesn't , then send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

wooddreams2

Post by wooddreams2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am

Redoing the migration on this server is not an option.
The Vault portion of the upgrade seems to be working fine and all the developers have already migrated to this new server.

I would think I just need a copy of the default sgdragnet database to get that working.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:34 pm

I have received your email and will continue this conversation offline.
HS: 214397
Beth Kieler

wooddreams2

Post by wooddreams2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Beth,

I took the following actions and now have the Item Tracking portion of the interface working (I believe).
  1. I did a clean install of Fortress to a system which never had it installed without an sgvault database.
  2. I examined the sgdragnet DB for all the initialized field and scripted the inserts for for tables.
  3. I ran the inserts into my existing DB (and removed some conflicting info I had entered.
  4. I also scripted and insert the External User from sgvault
Things now seem to be working for the handling of item tracking.
If you know of something I may have missed, please let me know.

I am now more concerned with the CCNET FortressPlugIn timeout issue and the other feature requests than the item tracking.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 am

I'm not entirely sure. We'd like to discuss this a little more in depth with you. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Have you received my reply email??

HS: 214397
Beth Kieler