Server connection closed unexpectedly

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BigBrett

Server connection closed unexpectedly

Post by BigBrett » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:07 am

We have been working with Fortress for a long time without a problem. Today however, when trying to do a Get from a label, we received the following error (the same error occurred when trying from another computer):

Code: Select all

19/11/2008 3:44:35 PM <generic>: [Main:8140] [System.Exception: The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation.  Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted.  Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.
The server and clients are all 1.1.3.18336. I have tried rebooting both the Fortress and database servers but no joy. The last time I did a Get from a label (the same Get we are trying today) was a shade over a month ago and it worked correctly, so I am puzzled why we should suddenly be getting this error. Nothing of any note has been changed on the client or server computers (other than the normal MS updates).

Regards,
Brett

Beth

Re: Server connection closed unexpectedly

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 am

Are regular Gets performed from the Fortress GUI client functional?

What happens if you load a client right on the server and tried the same action?

Could you send or post your Vault Server Log? If you post it, you can remove it after we are finished troubleshooting, If you send it, then email it to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BigBrett

[SOLVED] Server connection closed unexpectedly

Post by BigBrett » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi Beth,

I managed to locate the source of the problem after checking the Label Get on the server, which worked perfectly.

The one software upgrade I had forgotten about was updating the workstations' antivirus software from AVG 7.5 to 8. Once I disabled the "Web Shield" component, which we did not have prior to updating, the Label Get from my computer worked perfectly. When the rest of the developers arrive I will get them to check that it solves the problem on their computers as well.

Strangely enough, normal operation of Fortress was not affected by this software, just the Label Get.

Regards,
Brett

Beth

Re: Server connection closed unexpectedly

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks for the update. That's some really good information to have.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support