What exactly does binding do?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TLafountain

What exactly does binding do?

Post by TLafountain » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 am

What exactly does binding your project do?
Would it be better to add a project to fortress, then do a get latest on that project and remove my local copy...
Or bind it to a current project that I already have on my local disk...

I may just not understanding binding clearly.

Also is there a fix/workaround for the automatic checkout when you edit a file, after doing a get from fortress? I just assume that it should ask me to check it out.

lbauer

Re: What exactly does binding do?

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Binding creates an association between your project on disk and the project in the repository. When your project is bound, you'll generally see little icons next to the files in VS which indicate the status of the files in your working folder. When you modify the project you're prompted to log into the repository to commit your changes.

Best practice is to add your project to Fortress (or Vault), using the Add to Fortress (Enhanced Client) or Add to Source Control (Classic Client). This automatically creates the bindings.

If you add your project with the GUI Client, you may need to manually bind your project, depending on which integration client you are using.

For more information about the Classic Client integration, see this:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 2598#p2598

See this KB article about the Enhanced Client integration:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 672#p39065

Once you decide on your integration client, let me know if you have further questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TLafountain

Post by TLafountain » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:46 am

Thank you for the response.

We are using the Enhanced Client.
Is it better to bind to a project already on disk, or after Adding to Fortress, should we delete the old project and do a Get Latest, and rebind to that project in the working folder.

Also is there a fix/workaround for the automatic checkout when you edit a file, after doing a get latest from fortress? I just assume that it should ask me to check it out.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 am

There's no way to turn off the automatic checkout in the Enhanced Client, but we do have feature request 13343 logged to change this. I'll add your "vote."

If you want to be able to modify files without checking them out, you might be more satisfied using CVS mode, rather than VSS mode.

CVS mode allows you to edit files without checking them out first. And you can also commit them if the file has changed. Modified files are considered edited, not renegade in CVS mode.

You can enable this in Visual Studio integration under Tools-Options-Source Control-Options Page-Advanced Options-Concurrent Development Style.

You also have the option to use the Classic Client integration, which you can set to prompt or do nothing on Edit.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Is it better to bind to a project already on disk, or after Adding to Fortress, should we delete the old project and do a Get Latest, and rebind to that project in the working folder.
The easiest would be for one person to add a new project to Fortress through the Visual Studio "Add project to Fortress" command. This will put the project under source control. Then other users can Open from Fortress without having to bind and rebind.

If the project was already added with the GUI Client, one person could bind the project with Change Fortress Bindings, checkin the project and other users could Open From Fortress.

More info about the Enhanced Client here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 672#p39065
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

TLafountain

Post by TLafountain » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 am

Thank you very much for your reply's. You have answered my questions, and thanks for adding my vote.
I will give CVS mode a try and see how it works out.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Let us know if you have further questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear