Unwanted Exclusive Locks

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

maysam

Unwanted Exclusive Locks

Post by maysam » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 am

Although I have unchecked "always request exclusive locks" option for all developers, we are regularly facing exclusively locked project files even though nobody has checked out them exclusively. As an example, when I right click on a project and add a file to it, the project becomes exclusively locked. Does anybody know why it happens and how I can prevent it? :roll:
Thanks
Last edited by maysam on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beth

Re: Unwanted Exclusive Locks

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 am

Files that are not mergeable are automatically exclusively checked out. If two people could check them out, then you would run into situations where you needed to merge. If you go into the admin web page (or admin tool if on an older version), you can change which files are mergeable and not mergeable in the repository settings under File Types.

Another option would be to work in CVS mode. Checkouts aren't required in CVS mode. CVS mode is only available if you are using the Fortress GUI client by itself and not integrated with another program or if you are working with the Fortress Enhanced Client when working integrated with Visual Studio.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 am

These articles from the FAQ may be helpful, particularly if you're using the Visual Studio Enhanced Client:
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

maysam

Post by maysam » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 am

Thank you very much :)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:12 am

You're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear